Whether your interests are in personal fitness, athletic training, coaching, teaching, health and wellness, or one of our pre-professional programs (cardiac rehabilitation or physical therapy to name a few), kinesiology has something for everyone interested in the study of human movement. A degree in kinesiology at UW-Eau Claire will address the biological, psychological, social and environmental factors that influence an individual’s capacity to lead a healthy lifestyle.
I just finished my first year of Physician Assistant school. I was far better off in my cardiology, pulmonology and orthopedic modules, thanks to the foundation provided. I cannot say enough about the kinesiology program at UWEC and about what it provided me.
MajorsComprehensive majors (no minor required)
- Kinesiology - Athletic Training
- Kinesiology - Exercise Science
- Kinesiology - Physical Education Teaching
- Kinesiology - Rehabilitation Science
- Kinesiology - Sport Pedagogy
- Adaptive Physical Education
- Science of Coaching
Contact InfoJeffrey Janot, Ph.D., Kinesiology
McPhee Physical Education Center 208
509 University Drive
Prepared for success
You will benefit from the low student-to-faculty ratio and the department’s family-type atomosphere. In addition, few other schools can match the strong and varied clinical education component of this major. The outreach and research opportunities give our graduates a strong advantage.
Kinesiology grads hold positions as teachers, coaches and exercise/wellness practitioners. Careers are available in the fitness industry, employee wellness programs, community health education and hospital settings. Many go on to graduate school in such disciplines as cardiac rehab, chiropractic, adaptive PE, and physical and occupational therapy.
Where are our grads?
- Personal Trainer, Lifetime Fitness (Minneapolis, MN)
- Clinical Exercise Physiologist, ThedaCare Medical Center (Shawano, WI)
- Health Coach, Masters Health Coaching (Chicago, IL)
- Athletic Trainer, Mayo Clinic Health System (Eau Claire, WI)
- Physical Education Teacher, Mondovi School District (Mondovi, WI)
Why UW-Eau Claire
Accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education and Department of Public Instruction (for the education emphasis).
Majors participate in capstone experiences, including internships or student teaching experiences. The department of kinesiology excels in partnering with local organizations as well as finding internship opportunities around the country. Just a few examples of internship possibilities include:
- MedEx of Estes in Estes Park, CO
- Sport Performance Acceleration Minnesota in Arden Hills, MN
- Sacred Heart Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation in Eau Claire, WI
- Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN
The International Journal of Research in Exercise Physiology is affiliated with the Department of Kinesiology. The peer-reviewed journal was founded for the purpose of publishing undergraduate student research and to provide undergraduate students with valuable experience in the peer-review and publication process.
The McPhee/Olson Physical Education Center is an outstanding facility with six gymnasiums, including an indoor 200-meter track, a competition-size swimming pool, eight racquetball courts, spacious weight training and fitness center, sports medicine/athletic training room, dance studio, exercise physiology laboratory and computer laboratory. Outdoor facilities include a 400-meter track, tennis courts, and jogging and fitness trails.
First-Year Suggested Curriculum
Courses taken your first year will depend on the emphasis you’ve chosen.
Those taken by all the emphases include:
- Orientation to Kinesiology
- Anatomical Kinesiology
- University writing requirement—depending on placement exam
- Physical Science
- Human Nutrition
- General Chemistry
- General electives
Course Work / Pre-Professional Courses
Students can participate in a wide variety of pre-professional experiences such as student-faculty collaborative research; job shadowing and mentoring with area professionals; K-12 field experiences; coaching and exercise science apprenticeships; regional professional meetings and workshops; clinical experiences and workshops for certifications and licensures; and community fitness programs; including one for kids and adults with disabilities.
Special Admission Guidelines
Refer to the UW-Eau Claire Catalog, check out the kinesiology Web site or contact the Kinesiology department for detailed admission requirements. Admission is competitive, and resources available limit the number of students admitted to the programs.
Printable APS Sheets | Catalog Links | Degree Plans
Academic Program Sheets
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Human Performance, Fitness Management Major
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Human Performance, Health Promotion Major
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Human Performance, Pre-Professional Major
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Human Performance, Sport Performance Major
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Movement Studies Major
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology - Physical Education Teaching Comprehensive Major
Academic Program Sheets
- Adaptive Physical Education Minor
- Kinesiology - Athletic Training Comprehensive Major
- Kinesiology - Human Performance, Fitness Management Major
- Kinesiology - Human Performance, Health Promotion Major
- Kinesiology - Human Performance, Pre-Professional Major
- Kinesiology - Movement Studies Major
- Kinesiology - Physical Education Teaching Comprehensive Major
- Kinesiology - Sport Pedagogy Major
- Kinesiology Minor
- Science of Coaching Minor