A degree in integrated strategic communication prepares students to craft messages for for-profit or non-profit organizations through a process of research, analysis, interpretation, and evaluation. An integrated strategic communication degree will help enhance students’ oral, written, visual, and social media communication skills—some of the most important skills employers look for!
Communication enables endless opportunities and connections to be made. When people communicate, they learn from others and at the same time provide their own insight to teach others. A world without communication would be a world of solitude.
- Integrated Strategic Communication - Advertising
- Integrated Strategic Communication - Public Relations
- Integrated Strategic Communication - Liberal Arts
- Integrated Strategic Communication
Contact InfoCommunication + Journalism
Hibbard Humanities Hall 152
124 Garfield Avenue
Prepared for success
UW-Eau Claire integrated strategic communication majors learn by doing. In addition to learning the principles and practices of ethical and effective communication, students learn and apply the skills necessary for success in the rapidly-changing profession. They apply their knowledge and skills through case studies and group projects at every course level. They also conduct research and create public relations and advertising campaigns for campus and community clients, including the UW-Eau Claire Integrated Marketing and Communications Office, Downtown Eau Claire and Sacred Heart Hospital. Working in collaboration with department faculty, students have recently conducted original research on topics including how audiences consume and share online contents and how audiences respond to public health campaigns.
Typical positions held by integrated strategic communication graduates include advertising or marketing-related strategic communication, event planning, public relations, or political communication.
Where are our grads?
- Director of Communications, Arena Football League, Chicago, IL
- Marketing Specialist, Education, Bloomington, MN
- PR and Marketing Associate, Boys and Girls Club of Milwaukee, WI
- Account Executive, Ludlow Advertising, Minneapolis, MN
- Public Relations Specialist, Fleishman- Hillard, Milwaukee, WI
- Project Coordinator, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, DC
- Digital/Direct Marketing Consultant, Kohl’s Department Stores, Milwaukee, WI
Why UW-Eau Claire
The Integrated Strategic Communication: Advertising and Public Relations majors are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Through the generosity of our alumni and other donors, the Department of Communication and Journalism is able to offer more than 30 scholarships to continuing majors. Be sure to apply as a sophomore and junior!
Students can gain on-campus experience in creating effective messaging by working in advertising or public relations with the student newspaper The Spectator, WUEC-FM 89.7 Radio, and other campus organizations, and by participating in the UW-Eau Claire chapters of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and the American Advertising Federation (Ad Fed).
Students can also supplement their in-class experiences with internships in a variety of for-profit and non-profit organizations.
The department is home to the Communication and Journalism Center, a state-of-the-art facility that includes TV and radio news studios and projection facilities, a visual communication studio and lab, and the offices of student media outlets, The Spectator and Blugold Sunday Radio (WUEC FM 89.7).
First-Year Suggested Curriculum
- University writing requirement– depending on placement exam.
- Fundamentals of Speech or Fundamentals of Communication
- Introduction to Integrated Strategic Communication
- Multimedia Communication
- General electives
Special Admission Guidelines
Nearly all upper division courses (numbered 300 and above) required in major and minor programs are available only to students who have completed prerequisite courses with grades of C or above.
Printable APS Sheets | Catalog Links | Degree Plans
Academic Program Sheets
- Integrated Strategic Communication, Advertising, 18-19
- Integrated Strategic Communication, Public Relations, 18-19
- Integrated Strategic Communication - Advertising Major
- Integrated Strategic Communication - Public Relations Major
- Integrated Strategic Communication Certificate
- Integrated Strategic Communications Major
- Integrated Strategic Communications Minor
- Organizational Communication Certificate
- Social Advocacy and Change Certificate