If you are a practicing nurse who has an associate degree or diploma in nursing and want to take your education further, this is the program for you. The BSN Completion Program provides a flexible option for currently employed nursing professionals without the inconvenience of having to relocate or travel long distances.
The BSN Completion Program has allowed me the flexibility to be able to work full time while fulfilling my academic goals from a distance. It has given me the opportunity to enhance my foundation of nursing knowledge at my own desired pace.
Contact InfoCatherine "Kitty" Kenney, DNP, RN, BSN Completion
5 Roosevelt Avenue
Prepared for success
The BSN Completion program is a unique collaboration of six universities across the University of Wisconsin System. This partnership gives students several convenient options in which to pursue their degree. No matter which institution you choose as your "home", you will receive a quality education because the six core courses are taught from experts across the system.
Through the UW-Eau Claire program you will establish relationships with other BSN Completion students when you come together face-to-face in the classroom for a few immersive sessions during the first and last courses in the program. These opportunities also offer an environment where ideas are exchanged and lifelong connections are made between colleagues.
Why UW-Eau Claire
This program at UW-Eau Claire is fully accredited and approved by the Wisconsin State Board of Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
As a clinical cultural immersion course opportunity, gain new experiences by traveling to the Rosebud Reservation, home of the Lakota Sioux Nation, where you will promote healthcare for children and families within the context of the community. Additionally, you will provide care at the Rosebud Comprehensive Health Care Facility and in the community with the Public Health Nursing Department. Alternatively, you may participate in a community/public health project closer to your home.
Course Work / Pre-Professional Courses
- Six core nursing courses (18 credits) and upper division nursing electives (6 credits) are offered online. Each core course originates from one of the six participating universities.
- Nursing electives are also offered on a rotating basis.
- Online courses require computer access.
- CND 310 (bridge to professional nursing) and CND 480 (capstone clinical) are hybrid courses, meaning they are taught partially face-to-face on campus and partially online. Selected sections are offered at the distance education site in Marshfield, Wisconsin, depending on enrollment.
- The clinical component of CND 480 can usually be arranged near the student's place of residence and meets the UW-Eau Claire Service-Learning requirement.
- All students must have a Wisconsin RN license by designated deadlines. Nursing application deadlines are March 1, April 1, June 1, October 1, and November 1.
Liberal education classes may be taken at any college or university that offers courses that transfer to UW-Eau Claire. Nursing courses are taught over the internet, but are only available to students registered at the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at UW-Eau Claire or UW campuses in Madison, Oshkosh, Milwaukee, Green Bay, or Stevens Point. Internet nursing courses originate from all six participating universities.
Prepare for Graduate Education
The RN/BSN/MSN option is a program that facilitates the progression of qualified BSN Completion students into the master’s degree program at UW-Eau Claire. The program enables you to enroll in selected graduate courses (e.g., Nursing Research and Leadership in Nursing) while completing the BSN degree.
Special Admission Guidelines
Formal application to the BSN Completion Program must be made in the semester prior to enrolling in nursing courses. Students may apply while in the final semester of their technical college program. The deadlines for filing applications to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences are March 1, April 1, June 1, October 1, and November 1.
In order to be considered for admission to the BSN Completion Program at UW-Eau Claire, applicants must have:
- Graduated with an associate degree from a nationally accredited ADN Program (e.g. NLN, NLNAC, ACEN) with at least a 2.50 GPA
- A current Wisconsin R.N. license*
- Admitted to UWEC in good standing
- Completed at least 30 transferable credits with 2.50 overall GPA
- Completed at least 3 of 5 required science courses with a least a 2.5 GPA
- Fill out and submit all materials in admission packet, including the application, application fee, official transcript from associate degree or diploma program, and evidence of WI RN licensure.
NOTE: Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended, including high school, are needed.
*Please contact Dr. Catherine Kenney (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are in the process of seeking a WI RN licensure.
Step 1: Apply to both the University and BSN Completion Program
- Apply to UWEC as a BSN Completition program/collaborative nursing student for the term you plan to take a course.
- Send official transcripts, including high school, unless you already have a Bachelors Degree completed, to UWEC Admissions.
- Apply to UW-Eau Claire
- You must also apply to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences for the BSN Completion Program.
Step 2: Prepare academic plan
- Schedule an appointment to prepare an academic plan.