Engage in a flourishing community of students and faculty involved in the positive development of a visually stimulated world. This supportive environment will help you increase personal artistic awareness and learn how to communicate your visual ideas as a global citizen.
Art and Design is dedicated to delivering creative and innovative experiences by promoting practice in foundational skills, historical knowledge, and collaborative efforts. You are encouraged to thrive in a discipline of your choice, discovering your passion and talents through multiple emphasis areas and course options.
This year I went on the art and design trip to New York City. It was honestly one of the best experiences! As a group we got to go see art gallery’s down in Chelsea. We went to the MET, the Whitney, MOMA, and the Met Breuer. It was an experience I will never forget; I think if you have the chance to participate in this trip you should take it. You will get to meet new people and have new experiences.
- Art - Studio Art
- Art - Ceramics
- Art - Digital Media
- Art - Drawing and Painting
- Art - Graphic Communications
- Art - Graphic Design
- Art - Illustration
- Art - Photography
- Art - Printmaking
- Art - Sculpture
- Art - Studio Art
- Art - Art History
- Art - Studio Art
Contact InfoArt + Design
Haas Fine Arts Center 104
121 Water Street
Prepared for success
Graduates of the art and design majors work in graphic and electronic design or become self-employed artists. They also are museum curators, art conservationists, gallery dealers, photographers and magazine or book illustrators. The possibilities are endless!
Where are our grads?
- Graduate student, MA Program, Baylor University; Waco, TX
- Graduate student, MFA program, Washington State College; Pullman, WA
- Ceramics Professor, Phoenix College; Phoenix, AZ
- Software Developed, ShoreTel; Sunnyvale, CA
- Business Owner, Red Tea Photography; Eau Claire, WI
- CEO, TST Media Company; Minneapolis, MN
- Manager, Off Circle Gallery; Sebring, FL
- Art Director/Manager, Best Buy Headquarters; Minneapolis, MN
- Graduate Student, MA program, Erasmus University; Rotterdam, Netherlands
Why UW-Eau Claire
The department offers annual faculty-led field trips to internationally recognized museums and private galleries in cities such as Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. These trips give students the opportunity to engage with historical and contemporary artwork, expanding their cultural horizons.
In the past decade, visiting artists and designers have come to interact with students and members of the community. These internationally-renowned artists are often participating in a show at the Foster Gallery and have some of their latest and finest artwork on display.
Students enrolled in ART courses have 24-hour access to studio areas and designated computer labs. Studio spaces are structured around the specific needs of each emphasis area’s medium.
The department woodshop is maintained for welding and other sculptural processes, and the ceramics studio is fully equipped for wheel-throwing with access to a glazing lab and kilns. Photography students utilize the lighting studio fit with strobe and continuous lights, as well as an inkjet print lab and a darkroom used for traditional photochemical techniques. The three designated computer labs (two Mac, one PC) are kept up-to-date with the latest technology for graphic and digital media. Storage lockers are also available for assignment to students enrolled in Art & Design courses.
First-Year Suggested Curriculum
Foundation Art and Art History courses:
- Drawing and Composition
- Color and Composition
- Three-Dimensional Art
- Art of the 20th Century
Special Admission Guidelines
No portfolio is required for admission to our department! However, students pursuing the B.F.A. degree will be required to participate in a B.F.A. review around their second year, where they will need to present a portfolio developed during their time at UW-Eau Claire.
Students must be prepared to pay for any materials, supplies, and/or services in excess of the amount and kind provided by course lab fees.
Printable APS Sheets | Catalog Links | Degree Plans
Academic Program Sheets
- Art, Ceramics, 18-19
- Art, Digital Media, 18-19
- Art, Drawing and Painting, 18-19
- Art, Graphic Communications, 18-19
- Art, Graphic Design, 18-19
- Art, Illustration, 18-19
- Art, Photography, 18-19
- Art, Printmaking,18-19
- Art, Studio Comprehensive, 18-19
- Art, Studio Standard, 18-19
- Art - Art History Liberal Arts Minor
- Art - Art History Major
- Art - Ceramics Comprehensive Major
- Art - Digital Media Comprehensive Major
- Art - Drawing & Painting Comprehensive Major
- Art - Graphic Design Comprehensive Major
- Art - Illustration Comprehensive Major
- Art - Liberal Arts Minor
- Art - Photography Comprehensive Major
- Art - Printmaking Comprehensive Major
- Art - Sculpture Comprehensive Major
- Fine Arts Administration Certificate