Information systems is a hot career so its little wonder that internship opportunities abound for IS students. In fact, almost half of the 130+ companies attending the UW-Eau Claire's Career Conference sought IS students to work on projects during the summer or academic year.
An internship is a great way to learn more about IS, network with employers, and gain self-confidence. It may also aid your job search as many companies use an internship to pre-screen prospective employees.
Most IS internships are paid experiences with salary and benefits determined by the employer. You may work part-time while taking classes or full-time during the summer or academic year. You may receive university credits for your internship or elect to have it recorded on your university transcript as a non-credit learning experience. Internships taken for credit may be used to satisfy IS program requirements.
Because internships are so plentiful, many IS majors complete more than one internship during their college career.
What our interns do
- Participated on systems development project teams
- Established software standards for companies and evaluated software packages for company adoptions
- Tested pre-production software for quality standards
- Helped develop telecommunications systems
- Participated in LAN/WAN developments
- Assisted with development of EDI systems
- Performed maintenance on legacy problems
- Developed microcomputer applications
- Participated on program conversion projects
- Wrote procedure manuals for the application and use of hardware and software
- Trained users on new software applications
- Worked with users to gather new system specifications
- Develop and maintained database applications.
Some organizations that hire our interns
3M; American Express; American Family Insurance; Belvedere Trading; Cargill; Carlson Companies; CH Robinson; Church Mutual Insurance; Cray, Inc.; CUNA Mutual; Ecolab; Egan Company; EY; Hormel; Humana; ImageTrend; JAMF Software; Joy Global; Kimberly-Clark; Kohl's; Kraft Foods; Land O'Lakes; Liberty Mutual; Marshfield Clinic; Marten Transport; Mayo Health Systems; Menards; Nicolet National Bank; Northwestern Mutual; RCU; Roehl Transport Inc.; St. Jude Medical; Schneider National; Securian Financial Group; Sentry Insurance; Skyline Technologies; State Farm Insurance; Target; Thomson Reuters; Travelers; United Healthcare; US Bank; Wipfli
Learn how to set up and register for an internship!
Work with a company, your faculty advisor, the Handshake system and the Internship Coordinator to get your experience set up. Find out how.