If you like to crunch numbers and help people and organizations find financial solutions, check out accounting. UWEC helps develop your skills by offering a variety of courses that expand on the basic principles of financial, managerial and cost accounting. Plus you'll leave prepared to take the CPA and CMA exams.
As an accounting student, you will learn to...
- Prepare, analyze and verify financial documents in order to provide information to internal and external clients
- Become proficient in accounting and auditing software
- Understand the importance of ethics in the accounting profession
- Excel in communicating accounting and financial information clearly and concisely
- Work effectively with people in project teams
- Lead in the management of people and financial information
- Enjoy lifelong learning in the rapidly changing accounting field
Careers in accounting include: public accounting, financial accounting, managerial accounting, internal auditing, and tax accounting.
Comprehensive Accounting Major
60 credits/no minor required
The accounting program prepares students for success through a curriculum that includes a strong liberal education core and major-specific coursework that provides in-depth knowledge of accounting and business. The program also helps students develop communication, teamwork, and problem solving skills, which are highly valued by organizations seeking to employ accountants.
Graduates are eligible to take the examinations for the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designations. Accounting majors interested in sitting for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination can satisfy the 150 hour requirement by completing a second major, adding a minor, and/or completing one of the college's certificates.
Provides a general understanding of accounting and its role in society.