Departmental Honors provides recognition for the highest achieving Materials Science and Materials Science & Engineering majors. This program recognizes the achievement above and beyond academic accomplishments through additional experiences in the field.
All students majoring in Materials Science (any emphasis) or Materials Science & Engineering are invited to apply. Students should have a resident GPA and an overall GPA of 3.50 or higher. Student should also have a GPA of 3.50 or higher in their Materials Science or MS&E major, and meet the Program’s “High Impact” experience requirements (described below).
Application Procedure and Requirements
Submit an application form (available in the Program office) after completing four semesters at UW-EC, but no later than the students’ graduation semester (e.g., during the Spring semester for a May graduate). A Materials Science faculty member familiar with the student’s work (i.e., the students’ faculty advisor, research advisor, etc.) must endorse the application. In addition to the GPA requirements listed above, students submit evidence to the supporting faculty member that at least two of the High Impact experiences have been completed:
1. a summer research experience off campus as part of a federal program (NSF, NIST, DoD, etc.)
2. an appropriate internship in Materials Science or related area
3. a Study Abroad experience or Domestic Intercultural Immersion experience
4. an off-campus presentation at a conference, a presentation to the Provost’s Honors Symposium, or an accepted presentation at the Materials Science Seminar Series
5. a faculty/student collaborative research project (that includes a presentation at CERCA)
6. a publication in a peer-reviewed journal