What sets our Latin American and Latinx studies degrees apart are the high level of language proficiency and the minimum three-week international immersion experience. These factors, along with the breadth of topic area expertise represented by our faculty and staff, make for standout job applicants in all areas of the field and serves as excellent preparation for graduate school in a multitude of disciplines.
The Latin American and Latinx department offers the following programs:
What shaped my learning the most were all the opportunities to use my Spanish outside of the classroom and outside of my comfort zone. Being a LAS student empowered me to teach English abroad in Peru, speak Spanish at work at the local Mexican grocery store, and volunteer for the Touched Twice Clinic through El Centro de Conexión de Chippewa Valley.
The LAS Advantage
With a Latin American and Latinx Studies program, you can:
- Become just as fluent in Spanish.
- Spend the summer or semester in Latin America studying, volunteering or completing an internship.
- Experience an array of courses from multiple disciplines including economics, nursing, geography, art history, math, religion, history, and anthropology.
- Enjoy countless opportunities to gain personal and in-depth knowledge of Latin America and Latinos/Hispanics in the U.S.
- Fulfill many, if not all, of your general or liberal education requirements through LAS electives and core courses.
- Prepare for a career in nonprofit, education, health care, law, journalism, international business or any other field in which knowledge of Spanish and Latin America can be an asset.