print header
Integrated Marketing and Communications banner

News media guidelines and policies

Finding campus news and information

Reporters and editors can contact University Communications to request information about UW-Eau Claire or to ask for help in identifying people you want to interview for specific stories. We’ll do our best to quickly track down possible sources and/or information to meet the media’s needs and deadlines.

We regularly send news releases, public service announcements, tip sheets and media memos to local, regional and national media. If you are a member of the media and want to be added to our media distribution lists, contact University Communications. We’ll be happy to get you what you need.

We post all of our printed communications with the media (news releases, tip sheets, etc.) on our Web sitearrow


Downloadable photos of key UW-Eau Claire officials are available online. Journalists also can contact University Communications to request photos of other UW-Eau Claire faculty and staff members.

We also can help you arrange to take photos on campus or help you get information about possible photographic restrictions during certain high-profile events.

If you have questions relating to media photography/videotaping on our campus, contact University Communicationsarrow

Campus experts

Campus experts are listed in our online Experts Directory. To interview someone in the directory, reporters and editors can contact our office or the experts directly.

If you have a need for an expert relating to a topic not included in the Experts Directory, contact Julie Poquette at or 715-836-3985 to find someone on campus with knowledge about your topic. arrow

Subscribing to campus publications

The media is welcome to subscribe to the following campus publications by sending an email to

Media access to campus buildings

Public areas of campus buildings are open to the media during the hours that the buildings are open to the public. Media are not required to notify University Communications of a visit to campus, but it’s helpful for us to know you’re here in case we receive calls or questions related to your presence on campus. If you’re entering a public area of a residence hall (such as the lobby or a TV lounge), as a courtesy please let the hall director know you will be there. Find residence hall contact information.

Living areas of residence halls, such as rooms and hallways in the living areas, are not open to the media or the public.

Reporters and photographers can enter a student’s room if given permission by the student. The University Communications staff regularly advises students that they are free to talk with members of the media but are not required to do so. Individual students make their own choices regarding media requests.

Classrooms are not generally open to the media while classes are in session. Individual professors may grant the media access during a class session, but access must be worked out in advance. Contact the professor directly or work through University Communications to request permission. arrow

Media access to campus events

Reporters and photographers are welcome to cover most events and activities on campus. Some events (plays, some concerts and forums) may have restrictions for photographers (use of flash, where shots can be taken, etc.). Please contact University Communications in advance of the event if you have questions.

Reporters and photographers should have some form of media credentials to gain access to activities and events that require tickets.

The media is welcome at commencement ceremonies. Photographers should check in with a university staff member prior to commencement to identify where they can set up their equipment.

The University Communications staff makes every effort to provide opportunities for the media to talk with newsworthy campus visitors. The media will be informed about those opportunities as details are confirmed. arrow

Videotaping on campus

The news media does not need permission to videotape on campus, except in areas not typically open to the public (a student’s room in a residence hall or a classroom with a class in session). See "Media access to campus buildings" above for details.

In the event of an emergency, access to areas normally open to the media may be limited per the request of emergency personnel. In those cases, media should follow the guidelines established at the site of the incident. arrow

Media parking on campus

Members of the local media who regularly cover the university can receive parking permits through University Communications. We send requests for vehicle information to news directors/editors in the summer and issue the permits at the start of the academic year. Contact University Communications if you have questions or concerns.

Media parking permits allow reporters to park in F and S lots. They DO NOT allow reporters to park in F spots, reserved spots for the disabled or other limited parking areas. Please pay attention to signs that limit parking options.

News organizations can request special permits that allow photographers to park in loading zones because of the need to carry equipment.

Parking permits must be displayed on vehicles in the way described on the parking permit, or tickets will be issued. arrow

Release of student information

University Communications can release a limited amount of information about current and former students, such as permanent and local addresses, majors and minors and dates degrees were conferred.

Students can sign a form prohibiting the university from releasing this information. Those restrictions remain in place until the student removes them. Only the student can grant permission for the use of the restricted information.

Read about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Contact University Communications with requests for information or find information about current students in the university’s online directoryarrow