Student Support Services welcomes parents' involvement. We recognize that successful students are often those with concerned and supportive parents. While the Family Educational Rights Protection Act (FERPA) prevents university staff from releasing most information about students without written permission, we are glad to answer general questions that parents have about the university. Parents should feel free to either call or e-mail the SSS staff with their questions and concerns.
SSS Parent Alliance
To help parents stay informed, Student Support Services sponsors the SSS Parent Alliance. Through this on-line organization, parents are regularly sent information about university policies, services, events, etc. In addition, the SSS Parent Alliance can serve as a forum for parents to ask questions or raise concerns that they would like to have addressed by the SSS staff or other parents. The parents of first-year students often find it especially beneficial to be involved in this organization.
There is no cost to join the SSS Parent Alliance. You just need to have an active e-mail address and to complete a basic information sheet.
At Summer Orientation, parents of incoming students are provided with a binder of information that includes suggestions for helping students be successful at college. Additional books that parents might find helpful include the following:
- Letting Go: A Parent's Guide to Understanding the College Years by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeges.
- Don't Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years by Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller.
- You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years by Marjorie Savage.
- Bringing Home the Laundry: Effective Parenting for College and Beyond by Janis Brody.
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent's Guide to the College Experience by Jacqueline Kiernan Mackay and Wanda Johnson Ingram.
Contact the SSS Staff
Bruce Ouderkirk, Director, 715-836-4542, firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlie Krula, Academic Advising Coordinator, 715-836-4542, email@example.com
Laura Rubenzer, Career Development Coordinator, 715-836-4542, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andy Strowig, Career Development Coordinator, 715-836-4542, email@example.com.
Ka Vang, Tutoring Coordinator, 715-836-4542, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rebecca Hotujec, Program Associate, 715-836-4542, email@example.com.