print header

Transfer Credit Information

Transfer Credit Equivalencies


UW-Eau Claire Transfer Credit Wizard or Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup* - Determine how courses will transfer to UW-Eau Claire from other UW Institutions and selected non-UW schools by using the UW-Eau Claire Transfer Credit Wizard. Applicable for students attending a study abroad program through UW-Eau Claire's Center for International Education (CIE).

*Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup: Use this Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup if you know the course you need to take at UW-Eau Claire. This Lookup can help you find courses to take at another campus (for example, during summer school or if you are a prospective student) that match courses you need here.

Prior Approval Procedures and Information


Prior Approval Procedures

Frequently, changes and updates are made to the transfer equivalency files. To ensure that the course will transfer to UW-Eau Claire as you intend it to, you should document the current equivalency information. To do this, do one of the following:

Use the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard or Reverse Lookup

Once you find the equivalency you're looking for, simply print a copy of the page showing the equivalency, make sure there is a date printed on the page, and retain it for your records as documentation of the credit you will receive upon completing a transfer course. Once you've completed the course, remember to have a transcript sent to the UWEC Registrar's office from the school where you take the course.

Use the Prior Approval Form

Alternatively, if you did not find the school or course you were looking for in the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard, you may complete a Prior Approval Form (eForm). Retain a copy for your records.

Important Transfer Information

  • 23 of the last 30 credits prior to graduation from any curriculum must be earned in residence at UWEC, unless specific arrangements have been made by petition to the Dean of your School or College. UW-Eau Claire Study Abroad courses are considered resident credits.
  • You must request that your transcript be sent to the UWEC Registrar's Office, upon completion of the course(s). 

Transfer of Credits

Credit is awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to coursework in our undergraduate curriculum. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are primarily remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable. At the point of admissions, the Admissions Office will prepare an evaluation or official list of transferred credits for the student. Appeal of the evaluation may be made through the Chair of the Department where the course resides, to the Dean of that College, and if necessary, to the Provost/Vice Chancellor.

Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree or additional certification are not given an evaluation of credits; they report to the Associate Dean of the College for specific advising.

Associate degrees granted from University of Wisconsin System institutions (including the University of Wisconsin Colleges that meet the 1987 Board of Regents approved minimum requirements), satisfy the breadth requirements of UW-Eau Claire's general education program (see General Education Requirements); however, competency requirements, levels of proficiency, and specific courses are still required.

Because individual baccalaureate degree programs stipulate specific courses, students should be attentive to the requirements of an intended major in planning their General Education program. In certain fields, credits that were earned more than ten years prior to admission or readmission may be invalid as degree credits.

Credit may be granted for post-secondary work at a foreign institution if the institution is recognized as a degree-granting institution by the country's Ministry of Education. Current recommendations of American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs are used to determine the amount and type of advanced-standing credit to be given.

UW-System Transfer Policy

UW-Eau Claire Transfer Policy

  • Although UWEC routinely applies a course toward GE requirements in the same category as similar UWEC courses, if the course fulfills a different category at the sending institution, and if the student requests the original designation, the request will be approved if at all possible. (The student should contact the Registrar with proof of the sending institution's categorization at the time the student was enrolled.)
  • Upon student request, UWEC will permit courses completed by UW System transfer students to transfer in accordance with the course equivalency in effect when the course was taken, vs. the current equivalency. (The student should obtain a petition from the Registrar's Office and should supply proof of the original equivalency.)
  • UWEC course repeat rules will be applied to any external credit submitted to UWEC for evaluation.
  • If a course taken at a UW System institution has an upper division transfer equivalency, and if UW-Eau Claire freshmen and/or sophomores are allowed to enroll for that equivalent class, UWEC will award upper division credit, even if the course was lower division at the original institution.
  • We will accept ethnic studies (cultural diversity) courses satisfactorily completed at another UW institution toward satisfaction of the UWEC cultural diversity requirement. (Not all transcripts identify these courses, so the student may need to inform degree review personnel in the Registrar's Office. The student should be prepared to supply proof that the course was considered ethnic studies.)
  • UWEC will consider students who hold the Associate Degree from another UW institution to have satisfied our university-wide general education requirements, but since the degree may not have yet been awarded at the time of admission, the student may need to call our attention to the Associate Degree. (The student should contact degree review personnel in the Registrar's Office.)
  • Students shall have the opportunity to appeal any course transfer determination. The appeal should originate with the chair of the department where the course resides, would be carried on to the Associate Dean of that School and/or Dean of that College, and if necessary to the Provost and Vice Chancellor. 

Disclaimer - Student Responsibilities

You may print these reports to keep as a record of how your courses will transfer. The transfer course equivalencies listed are guaranteed for courses you take this or next semester and, when you choose to transfer, will "count" as indicated. The equivalencies listed are accurate, but may satisfy different degree requirements depending upon the specific major or program. In addition, course revisions or changes in requirements may cause equivalencies to change. Therefore, it is the student's responsibility to (1) discuss specific circumstances with an advisor, and (2) retain printed copies of these dated reports.