print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to Change to a Major or Minor or Program in the Physics and Astronomy Department:

1). Come to the Physics and Astronomy Department Office in Phillips Hall, Room 230. Let the Academic Department Associate (ADA) know which major or minor or program you would like to declare (see list below). Please see the UW-Eau Claire Catalogue for more information on each major/minor/program or bring your questions to the Department Chair (Phillips Hall, Room 231).


  • Physics, Liberal Arts Emphasis
  • Physics, Applied Emphasis
  • Physics and Engineering Dual Degree Emphasis
  • Physics, Teaching

Comprehensive Majors:

  • Physical Science, Teaching
  • Physics-Mathematics, Teaching

Pre-Engineering Program:

  • Civil Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Undecided

2). Once you have decided which major/minor/program you wish to declare, the ADA will assign you an academic advisor and give you a Change of Major/Minor/Program form. You will need to make an appointment with this professor to discuss your change. Information on how to contact the professor will be provided on the form.

Please note: It may take up to a week to arrange a time for this appointment. It is very important to plan ahead!

3). Meet with your academic advisor. Please bring the following to your appointment:

  • Your Change of Major/Minor/Program form.
  • A "What-If" Degree Audit, which includes your newly proposed major/minor/program.
  • Any questions you may have about this major/minor/program.
  • A sketch of a “plan” for the next few semesters. This plan may include a graduation date that you are shooting for, a schedule of possible classes in future semesters, and ideas regarding your plans after graduation (graduate school, industry, teaching). This plan may be fairly rough or very complete. Your advisor will go over this material with you and offer you assistance in your preparation for future semesters.

At the end of this meeting, your advisor will sign your Change of Major/Minor/Program form.

4). Bring your signed Change of Major/Minor/Program form back to the ADA in the Physics & Astronomy Department Office, Phillips Hall, Room 230. The ADA will change your major/minor/program online and officially assign your advisor to you.

If you have additional questions, please contact either:

Sherrie Miles
Academic Department Associate
Phillips Hall Room 230
(715) 836-3148

Dr. Lyle Ford
Professor & Department Chair
Phillips Hall Room 236
(715) 836-5046