print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to add or change a Major or Minor in the Geology Department:

1. If you are considering changing your major to Geology, we ask that you first acquire a "What-If" Degree Audit. This audit will give you (and your advisor) a better understanding of what requirements you will need to complete our program.

2. Contact the Program Assistant in Geology (by phone, e-mail, or in person–see contact information below) to set up an appointment for you to meet with an advisor or the department chair in the Department of Geology. Don’t forget to bring your “What-If” degree audit to the advising appointment.

Please note: This process may take time—it’s important to plan ahead.

3. Advising documents are available in the hallway across from the department office. You will be provided with this material and encouraged to read it. The emphases that you may study in Geology include:

  • General Geology Emphasis, Comprehensive major
  • Hydrogeology and Water Chemistry Emphasis, Comprehensive
  • Environmental Science Emphasis, Comprehensive major
  • Marine Geology Emphasis, Comprehensive major
  • Non-Comprehensive Geology Major--Requires a minor or second major in another department.
  • Minor in Geology—Requires a major in another department.

4. Once you have met with an advisor and you have decided that Geology is indeed the field you wish to pursue, you will then need to return to the geology program assistant and she will change your major or minor online and assign you a permanent advisor.

You may contact the program assistant as follows:

Lorilie Steinke
Department of Geology
Phillips Hall 154