print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to change your major or minor to Biology:

1. If you are considering changing your major to Biology, we ask that you first acquire a "What-If" Degree Audit. This audit will give you a better understanding of the requirements you will need to complete our program. Please review the audit, our website and the University catalog to learn more about the program and affiliated minors and pre-professional health emphases. If you are sure about changing your major or minor, proceed directly to step 3.

2. (Optional step) After thoroughly reading the information indicated in step 1, if you have questions, you may wish to meet with an advisor in your area of interest, or with the department Chair, before declaring a new major or in the Biology Department. The Program Assistant in Biology (in Phillips 330) can refer you to an advisor in your area of interest or set up an appointment with the Chair. You must have your “What-If” degree audit with you for the appointment. Please note: This process may take time—it’s important to plan ahead.

3. Once you have determined that Biology is the field you wish to pursue, please contact the Program Assistant in Biology (by phone, email, or in person, as indicated at the bottom of this page). She will have you identify your specific program areas (see below), assign you to a permanent faculty advisor in the department, and add your major or minor on-line

Programs administered by the Biology Department include:


  • Biology—liberal arts
  • Biology—teaching

Comprehensive Majors

  • Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
  • Biology; Ecology and Environmental Biology emphasis
  • Biology; Microbiology emphasis
  • Biology; Organismal Biology emphasis


  • Biology—general
  • Biology—teaching

Multidisciplinary Minors

  • Environmental Science
  • Marine Science
  • Pre-Professional Health Science

Pre-professional programs

  • Pre-Dentistry
  • Pre-Medicine
  • Pre-Optometry
  • Pre-Physician Assistant
  • Pre-Veterinary Medicine

Please contact the Program Assistant at:

Sherrie Miles, Program Assistant
Phillips Hall 330