print header

Research Abroad

If you will be conducting research abroad, consider the following information as you prepare. View printable PDF version.

For additional information or with questions, contact:

  • Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at Schofield 17; (715) 836-3405;
  • Center for International Education at 3 Schofield; (715) 836-4411;


A. Can I conduct research anywhere?

UW-Eau Claire does not advise travel to countries where the U.S. Department of State has issued travel warnings. The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs does not provide funds for projects in countries with travel warnings.

to top

B. Do I need vaccinations? Are there other health issues I should consider?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide information on vaccinations and health conditions by destination.

On campus, Student Health Service provides some travel vaccinations and country-specific health information.

It is best to consult with your primary care physician and discuss your specific health care needs.

to top

C. How do I get a passport?

The U.S. Department of State website provides passport information and allows you to search for locations to apply for a passport. In Eau Claire, you can apply for a passport at the Post Office (225 E. Madison St., Eau Claire, WI 54703; 715-830-5300).

to top

D. Do I need a visa?

Visa requirements vary. Go to the U.S. State Department website and view Country Specific Information, specifically the Entry/Exit Requirements.

to top

E. Should I get an international ID card?

You can purchase an International Student Identity Card (ISIC) to receive discounts on entrance fees to museums and attractions as well as travel discounts. The current cost (June 2017) is $20. Visit the ISIC website to find discounts by country. The ISIC card is not required.

to top

F. Can I purchase travel insurance?

UW-Eau Claire and UW-System require all students traveling abroad on behalf of the university to purchase insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International. This is an option for faculty and staff but not a requirement. Contact the Center for International Education (CIE) on campus to enroll.

to top

G. Who can help me find contacts in the country where I plan to research?

Visit with the Center for International Education (CIE) on campus; they may be able to help you. Also, CIE has international agreements with many universities and institutions around the world. 

to top

H. Do I need to take academic leave when researching abroad?

If you are taking a semester off (i.e., are not registered for class), you may want to take academic leave. Academic leave has two benefits: (1) you do not need to apply for readmission and (2) you will keep priority registration. Contact the Dean of Students  on campus for assistance.

to top

I. Can I use my financial aid for research abroad?

Contact Financial Aid on campus to discuss your specific situation. 

to top