print header

Financial Aid Terms to Know and Paying your Fees 

To qualify for financial aid you must (1) be an admitted student; (2) be in good academic standing; and (3) be making adequate progress toward your degree.  To apply complete the FAFSA at

Check out the UW-Eau Claire Financial Aid homepage at: to fill out a “Financial Aid Estimator”.  Meet with a financial aid counselor in Blugold Central, Old Library 1108 (715-836-3000) for more information or to explain any special circumstances your family has that could not be addressed on the FAFSA. 

Financial Aid Terms to Know

Financial Aid

Financial aid typically refers to federal and state monies such as Pell grants, Stafford and Perkins loans, and Work Study.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid completed annually to determine the amounts and kinds of aid you qualify for. Apply online at


After you submit the FAFSA you will receive, via postal mail or email, your SAR (Student Aid Report).  The Financial Aid Office also receives a copy of this report electronically and uses the information to determine the kinds and amount of aid you qualify for.  They will then send you a Financial Aid Award Form.


Scholarships are monies available from private sources. You must apply for these separately from your FAFSA. (See the NSS "Pennies From Heaven" website for more scholarship information:

Grants are state and federal aid that you do not have to repay. You may or may not receive a grant as part of your financial aid package. These are based on your income and other information reported on your FAFSA.


Money you pay back at a low interest rate after graduation. Using student loans is optional. There is a cap as to the total amount of student loan you can accumulate throughout your college career.

Work Study
On-campus employment for which you receive a bi-weekly paycheck to be used for any expenses.

Veterans Benefits
Money paid to military veterans for education expenses.  See the section on the Veteran's Services Office for more information.

Paying Your Fees

Students will be notified via UWEC email when bills are available for viewing.  Find your tuition bill in MyBlugold CampS under Self Service - Student Center.

  • To avoid finance charges, you must pay your entire bill approximately four weeks after the start of the semester. For exact dates, see the payment schedule link on
    the Student Financials page.
  • If you cannot pay your entire bill, you must pay at least 50% at the first due date to avoid a finance charge.
  • The final payment is due approximately 8 weeks after the start of the semester. A 1% finance charge is assessed on any amount due after the first deadline. In addition, if you did not pay 50% by the first deadline, an administrative fee will be assessed.
  • You can receive money back if you drop below full time, or as a part time student, decrease the number of credits you are taking, within the first four weeks of classes. See the refund schedule link on the Student Financials page for details.