The critical, immediate enrichments of being a McNair scholar include:
- Receiving intense mentoring in a nurturing and supportive environment
- Undertaking collaborative research with UW-Eau Claire faculty members.
- Receiving all the benefits of the program's personalized services including seminars, summer research institute, workshop, travel funds for conferences and graduate school site visits, GRE preparation, CV services, personal statements, presentation opportunities at professional venues, networking opportunities.
- Receiving personalized assistance with graduate school selection and application
- Benefitting from application fee waivers available from many graduate schools across the country
- Learning about financial aid, fellowships, grant opportunities
- Receiving direct and indirect funding of up to $6,000 over a two-year period including summer research Institute stipend of up to $2,800 and up to $800 travel funds
Long-term Benefits Being a McNair Scholar
The expected long-term benefits of the McNair program are derived from the program purpose of providing disadvantaged college students with effective preparation for doctoral study. Research provides irrefutable evidence that a doctoral degree bestows monetary and non-monetary benefits that last over a lifetime. These include highest annual median income compared to lower levels of educational attainment, an unemployment rate of close to zero percent, and a life-time earnings curve that is much higher than lower levels of educational attainment, and a wide array of research and academic employment possibilities.