Students and instructors use the navigation bar to find content in a D2L course. Instructors can change the course navigation bar, or navbar, to eliminate tools you don't use, and add ones you do.
This page provides steps to:
- Modifying Course Navigation Bars
- Activating a Course Navigation Bar
- Customizing and Editing a Course Navigation Bar
- Customizing Link Groups
Changing a Course Tool's Name
For more information about the Navbar, watch the tutorial on
Editing the Navigation bar.
There are two ways to access the Navigation bar edit mode for a course.
- In your course, as you move your cursor over the
Navigation bar, you will see the
Manage Navigation & Themes icon, which looks like a small gear. Click this icon.
- OR, in your course, click Edit Course on the right side of your screen. From the Site Setup section click
Instructors cannot modify the existing navigation bar in a course. Instructors can copy the existing navigation bar, modify the copy to add additional tools and/or remove existing tools, then set the copy as the active navigation bar in the course.
Active Navbar dropdown menu you can choose which Navbar you would like to use, one of the default choices or a navbar you copy and customize. Click
Apply to see the changes.
While there are default Navigation bars that you may use, you can also choose to customize your own navigation bar.
- To the right of
Course Default Navbar v.10, click the dropdown arrow and select
Copy . If you would like a navigation bar with
Link Groups, then copy
Course Default Navbar v.10-Link Groups instead.
Note: You can't modify the default navbar directly. Instead, you must copy the default navbar and make changes to the copy.
Navigation bar entitled
Course Default Navbar v.10 - Copy will appear. You now have your own navbar to customize as you wish.
- Click on the name of your new navbar to edit it.
- In the
Name textbox, you may give your navbar a new name. You may also give it a description if you wish.
- In the
Links section toward the bottom of your screen, you will be able to delete, add, and reorder links.
- When you have completed your customization, click
Save and Close at the bottom of the screen.
Note: This will take some time, so don't navigate away from the page until saving is complete
- Now set this navbar copy as the active navbar in your course. From the
Active Navbar dropdown menu, click the title of your customized navigation bar.
- Hover over the link you wish to delete. An "X" will appear in the upper right-hand corner of the link.
- Click this "X" to delete the link from the navbar.
- Add D2L Link
- In the appropriate section, click Add Links.
- Select the desired link(s) from the Links List.
- In the appropriate section, click Create Custom Link.
- Type a name in the Name box.
- Type or paste the URL in the URL box. And a description is you wish.
- Using the Behavior dropdown menu you can select how you would like the page to open.
- Click and hold the link you wish to move, then drag it to wherever you would like it to appear on the navbar.
- Repeat with each link as needed.
The Navigation bar can be condensed by organizing the links into Link Groups. Links with similar characteristics can be grouped into dropdown menus.
- On the
Manage Navigation and Themes page, select the
Custom Links tab to the right of the default
- You will see a list of current custom links and link groups that have been created. To customize your own, click
- Enter a name for the link group in the
Name textbox. Choose a clear and descriptive name; this is the name that will appear in your
Navigation bar. You may also add a description if you wish.
- To add links to your link group, click
Note: On this page you may also create an external link by clicking . For more information on external links, see Add External Link .
- A list of existing links will appear. Using the checkboxes, select the links you wish to group together.
- When you have made your selections, click
Note: Once you have added your links you can't rearrange the order. If you have a specific order in which you would like the links to appear, then you must add them in that order.
- You will now see a list of the links you selected. If you wish to delete a selected link from the group, click the "X" to the right of the link. Click
Save to save your changes and continue.
- In the
Custom Links tab you will now see your link group on the top of the list. To add the link group to your
Navigation bar, click the
- Click on the name of your navbar to edit it. In the section where you would like your new link group to appear, click
Add Links window will appear with links ordered alphabetically. Find the name of your new link group and select it using the checkbox. Click
- Your link group will now appear in the list of links with a black dropdown arrow to the right to indicate that it is a link group. Just as with individual navbar links, you can drag and drop the link group to move it to a different position on your
Navigation bar. See
for more information.
- When your changes are complete, click
Save and Close (which will return you to the
- If your navbar is already activated, you will see that your new link group has been added to your
Navigation bar. Click the black dropdown arrow to view the links you added.
Note: If you have not yet activated your navbar, simply click the Active Navbar dropdown arrow and select your navbar from the list. Click Apply to view the change.
- To edit your link group at any time, simply return to the
Custom Links tab. Click on your link group. Here you can add or delete links just as before. When you click
Save, it will automatically update the link group on your
Note: If you wish to change the name of your link group, you can edit that in the same place. However, in this case, the change will not automatically update on your Navigation bar--you must add the link group to your Navigation bar as you did in steps 9 and 10.
You can change the names of tools you use in your course. For example, you could name the Quizzes tool Exams.
- On the
Navigation bar, click
- In the
Administration section, click
- Type the desired name in the
Display Name box for the tool you want to rename.
- Refresh your browser.
The tool name on the navigation bar will change.