The Attendance tool can can be used by faculty and students to track the presence and participation of students for regular class sessions or special events. Attendance schemes define the options for marking students' attendance status.
Begin by reviewing the attendance schemes in the D2L Attendance tool; you may create your own attendance scheme if none of the built-in options meet your needs.
- Attendance Schemes
- Attendance Registers
- Taking/ Reviewing Attendance
Note that the Attendance tool will not automatically appear on the navigation bar. You will need to modify the default navigation bar in order to add and display the Attendance tool. For more help on this process, view the Navigation Bar documentation.
Attendance schemes outline the criteria for marking student attendance or participation in registers. Each attendance register is assigned an attendance scheme that defines the students' statuses for each session (e.g., present, absent, late, participated).
- Click on Attendance on the Navigation Bar in your D2L course.
- Select the Attendance Schemes link. There you will see a list of D2L's built-in attendance schemes.
- To preview a scheme, press the arrow/triangle next to the scheme name and select View in a new window from the dropdown menu. The attendance scheme displays.
- If you wish to modify one of the built-in schemes, you may copy, rename, and customize an existing scheme. Press the arrow/triangle next to the scheme name and select Copy from the dropdown menu. The copied scheme then appears in the list.
- To edit the copy, click on the scheme title. The Edit Scheme page will appear. You can change the scheme name as well as edit or delete existing attendance statuses (e.g., present, late, absent, excused) or create new statuses within the copied attendance scheme.
- When you have completed your changes, press Save.
- Once you have chosen the scheme you wish to use for your course, choose Set to the right of your chosen scheme. Confirm by selecting Yes. This will set the default scheme for the course.
- Click Attendance on the Navigation Bar in your D2L course.
- Choose the Attendance Schemes link.
- Select New Scheme.
- In the Name text box, type the desired name for this scheme.
- Set the Symbol, Status Full Name, and Assigned % to create the various statuses.
- To add additional statuses to the scheme:
- Press Save.
- In the Add Statuses field, type in the number of addition status fields needed.
- Click Add Statuses.
- Enter the details in the Symbol, Status Full Name, and Assigned % fields for each new status.
- Press Save.
Note: You will not be allowed to save blank status lines. Delete blank lines by using the trash can icon to the right of the blank line; then press Save to retain your changes.
|Edit Attendance Scheme||
|Copy Attendance Scheme||
|Set Default Attendance Scheme||
Attendance registers are used to record students' presence or participation in course-related sessions and include information on class lists, events, and student activity.
Creating Attendance Registers
Note: In order to create a new register, review the available attendance schemes so you can select one when you set up the register.
- Click Attendance on the Navigation bar from the Course Home page.
- Click New Register.
- Type in the register name, and optional description.
- From the Attendance Scheme pull-down menu, select an Attendance Scheme.
- To flag attendance below a certain level, enter a number in the Cause for Concern (%) field.
- Check Allow users to view this attendance register if you want students to be able to view their own attendance records.
- Selecting users:
- To include all students in the course, in the Users section, select Include All Users in the Course.OR
- To include only some of the students, in the Users section, select Include All Users in the Following Groups/Sections.
- Click Add Groups/ Sections.
- From the Group/Section Category pull-down menu, select the desired category.
- In the Group/Section Name section, select the desired group(s)
- Click Add.
- In the Session Name box, type a short description of the event.
- Complete additional sessions.
- To add additional sessions:
- Click Save.
- In the Add Sessions field, type the number of sessions you wish to add.
- Click Add Sessions.
- Assign a name to each new session.
- Click Save.
Attendance Register Functions
|Edit Attendance Registers||
|Delete Attendance Registers||
Once you've set up attendance schemes and registers, you can record attendance.
- In the D2L course, choose Attendance on the navigation bar.
- In the Register Name column, select the desired register.
- In the Sessions section, next to the desired session, click Enter Attendance Data
- To set Attendance Status:
- In the Attendance Status column, from the pull-down menu, select the desired status.
Click Set Status for All Users under the session name.
- The Set Status for All Users dialog box appears; from the pull-down list, select the desired attendance status.
- Press Save.
- You may then set the status for exceptions. Find the name of the student, and, in the same row of the Attendance Status column, click the arrow to open the dropdown menu and select a different status.
- When you have finished setting the statuses of exceptions, click Save at the bottom of the list.
- In the D2L course, choose Attendance on the Navigation bar.
- The Attendance Registers page appears; in the Register Name column, click the desired register.