print header
Various scenes from the UWEC campus


Driver Authorization and Vehicle Use



The purpose of this information is to provide the UW-Eau Claire campus with procedures regarding driving requirements that must be met in order for officers, employees, students, volunteers or agents to be authorized to use a State/University owned, leased, rented or personally owned vehicle on university business. 

It is critical to remember that driving any vehicle on university business is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers compensation experience of the university.

It is appropriate to drive when the purpose of the trip fits the mission of the university or the official business of the university is carried out as a result of the trip. Anyone driving on state business must be an active officer, employee, currently enrolled student, or specified volunteer or agent.  A valid relationship between the university and the driver must be in place prior to being authorized.

Driver Authorization is required for officers, employees, students, volunteer or agents whose duties require them to drive on university business.  This includes using:

  • a State or University vehicle,
  • any rented or leased vehicle while on university business, or
  • a personally-owned vehicle

Coverage for use of university-owned vehicles is restricted to our University Self-Funded Liability Program. It is a requirement of the University Self-Funded Liability Program that anyone driving on behalf of the university must have a Driver Authorization Form on file in the Risk Management and Safety Office, prior to departure.

When driving a personal vehicle on university business, the vehicle owner's personal coverage is primary.  The State liability protection applies on an excess basis only.  The State liability and property program do not provide coverage for non-university vehicles.  The vehicle owner should contact their personal insurance company to determine how coverage will be applied for business use of their vehicle.

In general, non-employee and non-agent passengers are not allowed to ride in vehicles being used on university business due to the additional liability exposure which they pose. Contact Risk Management and Safety for further information.

Minimum Driving Requirements

  • Must have a valid operator's license. (New residents to Wisconsin must obtain a WI driver's license within 60 days of residence; 30 days if the person holds a CDL.)
  • Must have minimum of two years licensed driving experience (not including instructional experience).
  • Must be eighteen (18) years of age.

Driver Disqualification

  • Three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in the past two years.
  • An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)/Driving Under the Influence (DUI) citation within 12 months.
  • Expired license.
  • Suspension or revocation of driver's license.
  • Possession of an occupational license only.
  • Less than two years driving experience.
  • License reinstated for less than one year.

Email notification of a denial will be made to both the driver and supervisor/faculty member.

 IMPORTANT: You will be notified ONLY if you are not approved.


Authorization to Drive a Personally Owned Vehicle

Drivers require a valid driver’s license to drive personally owned vehicles on University business and a completed Driver Authorization Form must be filed with the institution. Drivers must be in compliance with any restrictions associated with that license when operating their personally owned vehicle on University business. Institutions may specify other requirements for University officers, employees or agents to be allowed to use personally owned vehicles on University business and are responsible for communicating these requirements to those affected and the UWEC Risk Management and Safety Office.


 UW-Eau Claire Driver Authorization Process:

By requesting to be an Authorized Driver, the driver is agreeing to inform their supervisor and the UW-Eau Claire Risk Management and Safety office whenever any negative change in the status of their driving record may occur. Any negative change in the status of one's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business.  The State of Wisconsin Fleet Policies and Procedures are to be reviewed prior to granting authorization.

NOTE: (CHANGED FROM PREVIOUS SYSTEM) Students driver authorization expire 6 months after approval.


Please allow processing time up to 10 days. Here is a link to where staff members can check on authorized drivers:


Application Process:

The Wisconsin Department of Administration is launching a new fleet asset management system: the Enterprise Fleet Management System. This system will go live November 6 and all Vehicle Use Agreements will now be submitted and stored electronically. This new tool replaces the outdated paper process.

Before October 27, drivers will need to log into the new fleet portal to complete an online Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA): VUA Sign-up Portal

Select "UW" in the "Select type of employee" dropdown. Select "UW Eau Claire" under UW Campus drop down. You will be prompted for your UW-Eau Claire network ID/password.

All employees who drive for university business must complete a new electronic VUA in order to avoid any interruption in vehicle reservations even if they have a current paper VUA on file. [Note: Volunteers will continue to submit a paper VUA because they do not have network access.]

It will only take a few minutes to complete the electronic VUA. We suggest you have the following items available when you log in:

  • Network ID and Password
  • Driver's license number
  • Your supervisor's name and email address
  • UDDS code for your department (e.g. Y409000). NOTE: When completing the form, you first need to select "UW Eau Claire" in the UW Campus field. Then in the "UW UDDS Code" field, you will need to type "UC" in the box, then click the drop down arrow. This will give you a listing of the UDDS codes to select from.
  • Out-of-state license holders will need to upload a driving abstract or notarized statement
    • In either case, Out of State Drivers will still need to upload a copy of their current, valid driver license.

Your supervisor will receive an email notification when you have completed the Vehicle Use Agreement –no more signing hard copies! 

For more information:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your VUA Coordinators or call the ASK Center at 715-836-3131. Your coordinators are:

Jamie Whitcome (

Tim Boehnen (


Vehicle Use:

12/15 Passenger vans are banned from use, as directed by the Chancellor's Office.

Driving in other countries (including Canada): Contact Risk Management and Safety at 715-836-4414.

Examples of appropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

1.Field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW-Eau Claire employee.

2.Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Eau Claire area and are course-required. (This would not include students who are required to train at some other site all day, i.e. student teaching, internships and coops).

3.Business errands for a department.

4.Conferences, meetings, events which are university-related.

5.Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note #1below for exceptions.)

6.Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the university, the program provides substantial benefit to the university, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Risk Management and Safety.

7.Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Examples of inappropriate use of a university owned or leased vehicle are:

1.Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.

2.Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.

3.Fraternity or Sorority business trips.

4.Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the university.

Vehicle Accident/Damage Reporting

University Owned Vehicle - In the event of an accident call the appropriate police department.  Check the glove box for a vehicle accident kit and follow the instructions. Notify the Risk Management and  Safety as soon as possible. Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form. Submit the form to Risk Management and Safety located in the ASK Center Schofield 228K.

UPDATED - 10/10/2017