The Economics Department at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire invites applications for a tenure track position as Assistant Professor and Director of the Chippewa Valley Center for Economic Research and Development beginning August 25, 2014. The department seeks candidates who are focused on engaging community partners and mentoring students, while maintaining teaching excellence and an active research program. The department encourages applications from individuals who will bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives or experiences to campus and be committed to promoting inclusiveness and diversity in the classroom, in the department, and throughout the university.
The faculty member will serve as the Director of the Chippewa Valley Center for Economic Research and Development (CVCERD) as it expands its role as a source of economic analysis in the Chippewa Valley region. In particular, the faculty member will be expected to:
- build relationships with the region's businesses, government agencies, and other community partners to gauge and address their needs for economic analysis.
- generate a steady stream of external funding (from grants, donations, or fees for services provided) to support a significant share of the cost of the position.
- provide economic analysis to regional partners, including (macro) analysis of regional economic trends and (micro) analysis of individual partners' problems and prospects.
- publish academic research work growing out of the CVCERD's regional economic analysis.
- serve as a mentor to several undergraduate economics students each semester in applied research projects that address the needs of community and regional partners.
- teach undergraduate economics courses – probably one course per semester related to ongoing CVCERD work.
- The successful candidate will also be expected to provide academic advising to students as assigned and engage in service to the department, university and community.
- A Ph.D.in economics or terminal degree in a related field is required; ABD applicants will be considered with evidence that the degree will be completed by February 15, 2015.
- Candidates should provide evidence of ability to (1) create new partnerships with businesses, government agencies, and others in the region; (2) attract external funding; and (3) supervise undergraduate students in applied research projects.
- Applicants must provide evidence of teaching excellence and the ability to develop and maintain an active research program.
- The department seeks applicants who would bring a commitment to promoting inclusiveness and diversity in the university community.
- The department seeks applicants whose interests and capabilities align with the department's commitment to support the learning goals that are the liberal education core of academic programs at UW-Eau Claire.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Economics has 11 full-time faculty members and is part of the College of Arts and Sciences. The department offers undergraduate economics majors and minors; it also provides general education and supporting coursework in economics. There are approximately 130 majors and 20 minors in the department.
Materials required in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- curriculum vita
- three letters of recommendation that you arrange to have sent directly from the recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org
- a writing sample
- evidence of excellent teaching (such as student evaluations)
- a statement describing how your interests and background address the qualifications for this position.
Applications are submitted electronically. Interested candidates should apply online at: UW-Eau Claire Careers. Click on the link to Economics Department: Assistant Professor and Director of the Chippewa Valley Center for Economic Research and Development (Job ID # 9312), and then click the"Apply Now" button. Instructions are available under the Apply Online FAQs link. You must create an account and log in before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please direct questions about the job description/position to:
Chair, Recruitment Committee
Department of Economics
715-836-5743 or email@example.com
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by December 1, 2013. However, screening may continue until the position is filled.
Invited candidates will be asked to provide an official transcript. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. A criminal background check will be required prior to employment.