Cover Letter Guidelines
These guidelines apply to both hard copy correspondence and e-mail.
Do not send a resume without a cover letter.
- Create targeted cover letters for each position and employer.
- Call attention to elements of your background — education, leadership, experience — that are relevant to the employment opportunity. Be as specific as possible, using examples.
- Reflect your attitude, personality, motivation, enthusiasm, and communication skills.
Cover Letter Writing Hints
- Avoid overusing the word "I." More emphasis should be placed on the organization and how you can help them.
- Highlight relevant qualifications.
- Explain why you want to work for the organization or company.
- Use a font style that is simple, clear and commonplace, such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri.
- Remember to sign the cover letter before sending it to employers.
- Stop into the Advising, Retention + Career Center to get help or make an appointment to have your cover letter reviewed.