print header

Helping Your College Student Face an Alcohol-Related Concern

A majority of college and university presidents have identified alcohol abuse as one of the greatest problems facing campus life. Signs of possible alcohol abuse include:

  • Trouble with campus or community authorities, violations in housing

  • Negative consequences from high risking drinking (hangover, assaults, sexual assault, “drunk sex”, drinking and driving)

  • Lower grades (be aware that students can often maintain a good GPA even though they are engaging in high risk drinking)

  • Never available or reluctant to talk with you

  • Unwilling to talk about activities with friends

  • Serious mood changes, depression or anxiety (it is not uncommon for individuals to self-medicate mental health issues)

We encourage parents to continue to educate themselves and utilize available resources on and off campus. If you believe your son or daughter is having a problem with alcohol, help them find appropriate treatment.

  • Call and/or visit Counseling Services. Counseling Services offer voluntary screenings and assessments, intervention, referral, and aftercare support at no-cost to students. It also offers certain services for a fee including court-referred screenings and assessments and a ten-hour moderation skills class. These services are also available off-campus.

  • Contact the Dean of Students, either in person or by email, about your interest in the welfare of your son or daughter and that you want to be actively involved in his or her recovery despite the geographic separation.

  • If your son or daughter is concerned about his or her alcohol consumption, or that of a friend, have them check out for information about alcohol abuse. This site is suitable for adults also and contains helpful health information for people of all ages.

  • Visit your son or daughter and ask to meet their friends. Attend Orientation, Parents' Weekend, and other campus events open to parents.

  • Continue to stay actively involved in the life of your son or daughter. Even though they may be away at college, they continue to be an extension of your family and its values.