print header

Vehicle Rental Instruction Notice


With the recent changes in the vehicle rental contracts, it was decided to create vehicle rental instructions for anyone who plans to travel and will require a vehicle for university business.

Here are a few important highlights:

  • Travelers have the choice of renting a vehicle or using their own personal vehicle for university business.
  • If you choose to use a personal vehicle, your personal vehicle insurance is primary and the State of Wisconsin’s insurance is secondary.
  • Even though 12-passenger and 15-passenger vans are listed in our contracts, these vans are not to be rented under any circumstances for university business.
  • The reimbursement rate for the use of a personal vehicle is $0.510 per mile unless mandated as less by the department paying for the reimbursement.
  • Whether you are driving your personal vehicle or a rental vehicle for university business, Faculty/Staff must obtain driver authorization from University Police prior to the travel taking place.  This authorization needs to be obtained only once.  NOTE:  Students may be authorized for a maximum of one year and must submit a new request for authorization.  Contact University Police (36-2222) if you have any questions regarding this process.
  • The local Hertz located at the Chippewa Valley Regional airport has declined to participate in our current vehicle rental contract and is not considered a contract vendor.

If you have any questions regarding the rental of vehicles for university business, contact Sheri Kuberra at 36-5999.