print header

Determining Catalogue Year

Any student who has not been out of school for more than one semester can choose the UW-Eau Claire Catalogue for the year he/she started at the previous school, or for any year after that.

However, students must inform Degree Review, Schofield 128, of the Catalogue they plan to use. If they do not do so, they will receive a degree audit for the semester they started at UW-Eau Claire.

Transfer G.P.A.

Transfer students begin a new resident G.P.A. when they enroll at UW-Eau Claire. However, the transfer G.P.A. is still important, since it is combined with the resident G.P.A. to form the total G.P.A. The total G.P.A. is used:

  • To determine eligibility for graduation: a 2.0 total is required.
  • For acceptance into certain programs and courses, including Education, Nursing and Business


  • If a course does not transfer as credit to UW-Eau Claire, then the grade is not counted in the transfer G.P.A. (remedial courses are included in the transfer G.P.A.)
  • The number of credits listed on a transfer student's transcript, as well as the G.P.A. will be listed as "estimated" until several weeks into the semester during which the student matriculates. A computer program runs and "accepts" the credits at this time.

Academic Standing of Transfer Students

Students with their academic warning used:
Transfer students who have ever been on probation at another university, but who now have a 2.0 G.P.A. or above are admitted in good standing, but are treated as if they have had academic warning at UW-Eau Claire. Therefore, if at any time in their enrollment at UW-Eau Claire they fail to meet the standards necessary for good standing, they will be placed on probation immediately, rather than academic warning.

Students on probation: Occasionally a transfer student is admitted on probation, usually because of a G.P.A. below a 2.0. These students must obtain a 2.0 during their first semester, or they are suspended.

If the student achieves good standing, but later returns to negative academic standing at UW-Eau Claire, he/she will be placed on probation again, not Academic Warning.

Orientation and Registration

All transfer students must attend an Orientation and meet with an adviser prior to registering for courses. There will be a registration hold until they attend one of these sessions that are held weekly starting a week prior to the start of priority registration. They can register on off campus via the web once they have attended Orientation and obtained their PAC from an adviser.

For more information about transfer orientation, contact New Student Orientation, 715-836-5053.

Placement testing (prerequisites for English, foreign languages and mathematics):

Prerequisites are enforced for transfer students the same way as they are for our continuing students. They must have a math, foreign language or English placement test on file (or an appropriate ACT) or have the prerequisite course in order to register for a course.

The following problems often arise for transfer students:

  • Students who have taken UW System placement tests, but whose scores do not show up on MyBlugold CampS should be referred to Academic Testing, 715-836-5522, (Schofield 226). We are usually able to obtain their scores from a central database.
  • Placement tests from outside of the UW System are not acceptable. A student would have to take UW System placement tests.
  • At times remedial work is transferred in without an equivalency (because the credit is not accepted). The student may have taken the equivalent of Math 020, but the computer will not allow the student to register for the next math course (example, MATH 109). The student either needs to take a placement test or get the equivalency changed in the Math department.

Advanced Placement Credit

Credit received by any type of credit by examination does not automatically transfer to UW-Eau Claire. In the case of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate examinations, a student must take a copy of their score report to Academic Testing, Schofield 226 or contact the Advanced Placement program to have the score sent.

If the student needs the course received through AP as a prerequisite (ex: English 110 for CJ 202), the student can take the transcript from the previous school to the appropriate department and obtain a prerequisite override.

Associate Degree from UW System schools and General Education

Under UW System policy, students who have completed an Associate Degree at a UW System school have automatically met the General Education Requirements at UW- Eau Claire. However, they still need to meet the following requirements:

  • Competencies
  • Proficiencies
  • College, School, and major specific G.E. requirements. For information on how this applies to a particular College or program, contact the Dean’s office or Degree Review.

Technical College Transfer Credits from Wisconsin

The University of Wisconsin System/Wisconsin Technical College System transfer policy has recently changed. A student can now transfer up to 30 credits of General Education coursework. The WTCS campuses are working on a common General Education curriculum to help accomplish this.

In addition, other non-General Education (often called technical/occupational courses) may be transferred on a course-by-course basis. They do not have to be part of an articulation agreement.

Courses are evaluated on an individual basis. All course equivalencies are available on the Transfer Information System (TIS).

If a student has more than the allowable number of transferable courses, all such courses will appear on the transfer course evaluation and will count in their transfer GPA. Courses beyond the 30 credits will be noted as "Computed in GPA/No Ern."

NOTE: If the student wishes to change the specific credits that are counted for the degree in order to use a specific course for a requirement, the student should notify Barb Thom in the Registrar's Office, Schofield 128.

Special provisions for students transferring from within the UW System

UW System schools have agreed to a number of policies regarding students transferring within the System. These policies do not apply to students transferring from outside the system. Unfortunately, not all of these policies can be checked when a student transfer evaluation is done. A student must notify Degree Review in the Registrar’s Office (Schofield 128) to have their record updated.

Diversity courses: Courses that meet the ethnic studies (cultural diversity requirement) at another System School will meet our requirement.

General Education courses: Courses that counted as General Education at a previous UW System school must be counted as G.E. here. If the course equivalency is for a course that is not G.E., (Art 107, for example), the student can use a petition form to have it count as G.E.

General Education categories: A G.E. course is normally applied in the same category as similar UW-Eau Claire courses. However, if the student took it to meet a different G.E. category (ex.: History is sometimes a Social Science at Madison), the student can use it to fulfill the original category by documenting the original designation for the Registrar.

Course equivalencies: Upon their request (to Degree Review), students may transfer a course according to the course equivalency in effect when the course was taken instead of the current equivalency. (They must provide documentation to the registrar).

Upper division designation: If a course taken at a UW System institution has an upper division transfer equivalency here, and if UW-Eau Claire freshmen and/or sophomores are allowed to enroll for the equivalent course, the student will be awarded upper division credit, even if the course was lower division at the original

Potential Problems to look for on all transfer evaluations (not just UW-System)

Because of the way courses are noted on transcripts, transfer evaluations are not always done in a way most beneficial to students. In addition to “consults” and “defers,” the following are a list of common problems that an adviser might bring to the student’s attention:

  • Lab courses that do not have the lab designation: if a course transfers as a science elective (either a departmental elective or a G.E. II elective), it needs to have the lab designation in order to meet this requirement. If lab courses are not noted accurately, the student should go to the appropriate department chair.
  • Cultural diversity requirements: Courses that do not transfer with a UW-Eau Claire course equivalent, but that covered content related to Native-Americans, African Americans, Southeast Asians or Hispanics, can often be used to satisfy the cultural diversity requirement. The student will need to file a petition and have it signed by the school/college that would have offered the course.
  • Courses that were taken as part of General Education at a previous school, but transfer as non-G.E. (either electives or courses that are not G.E. here) can often be used for G.E. A student should talk with his/her adviser and file a petition if appropriate.
  • G.E. IV electives: Courses that transfer in as G.E. IV electives require a Waiver/substitution form to be used for one of the five sub-categories.

REMEMBER: The student always has the right to appeal a transfer evaluation.