**UPDATE** On Oct. 9, 2014, the United States Supreme Court blocked Wisconsin's voter ID law from going into effect for the Nov. 4 general election. This means that Wisconsin voters, including UW-Eau Claire students, do NOT need to present photo identification to vote in the Nov. 4 election. Continue to check this page for further updates.
In addition to knowing their correct polling place and registering to vote (see information at left), students must do the following before they can vote in the general election on Nov. 4, 2014:
• Meet the 28-day residency requirement. A voter must live in the district or ward in Wisconsin where that voter wishes to vote for at least 28 consecutive days before election day. The 28 consecutive day requirement does not mean that a voter must sleep at or remain at that location for 28 consecutive days before being eligible to vote there. As long as a voter has established a physical presence at the new location with the required intent to claim residency that voter meets the qualifications of the 28-day residency requirement.
• Present proof of residency. Students registering to vote at the polls must present proof of residency. UW-Eau Claire students may download a proof-of-enrollment form (which also provides proof of residency) from MyBlugold CampS, UW-Eau Claire's intranet. Instructions for obtaining the online form can be found on the UW-Eau Claire Records and Registration website under the heading "Enrollment Verification-Student Request."
Voting is a social responsibility embodied in the mission of UW-Eau Claire. There are several opportunities to exercise your right to vote on campus.
A student must register to vote before he or she can vote at the polls. Registration may be done in advance or at the polls on election day.
- The UW-Eau Claire Student Senate provides an online voter registration tool.
- Voter registration also is available in UW-Eau Claire's McIntyre Library.
- The Wisconsin Government Accountability Board website also provides the voter registration form and instructions, including documentation needed to register.
During local, state and national elections, UW-Eau Claire is the voting site for Wards 20 and 24 of the city of Eau Claire:
- Students living in the upper campus residence halls reside in Ward 20.
- Students living in the lower campus residence halls reside in Ward 24.
Students living off campus can check the city of Eau Claire Web site to determine their wards and polling locations, or follow these links to maps of wards in which the majority of UW-Eau Claire students reside:
- Ward 3 (Third Ward area)
- Wards 2, 5, 6 (Randall Park/Courthouse area)
- Wards 17, 21 (Imperial Circle area)
- Wards 20, 24 (campus residence halls)
- Wards 31, 32 (downtown and East Side Hill area)
In addition, students are encouraged to cast their votes during campus elections during the year (see links below).