Chair’s Report for September 24, 2002
1. Important links to agendas, minutes,
Chair's Reports and other sites of interest are available
on the Senate web site: https://wwwlocal.uwec.edu/usenate. Senate Chair’s Report will be available on this site by noon on the day of the Senate meeting.
2. During debates, Senators may speak only twice to any motion or amendment. Each speaking term is limited to 10 minutes. The Chair will add names of those wishing to speak to a speaker's list upon recognition.
Open Forum Items from Senate Executive Committee Meeting minutes
1. Chancellor Mash commented on student off-campus behavior discussion from University Senate meeting of September 10, 2002
Other Items from Senate Executive Committee Meetings
1. Consultation with Provost about request from Criminal Justice Program faculty to be moved to Dept. of Political Science
2. Consultation with Provost about Administrative Intern Position in Academic Affairs previously held by Jan Larson of Communication & Journalism; 75% academic year position and summer appointment; home department will be refunded
Faculty Reps Meeting – next meeting, teleconference October 4th, any Senator can join
Board of Regents Meeting
1. The first reading of UW-Eau Claire’s Differential Tuition proposal passed by the Student Senate was heard. Approval will be granted at the next board meeting.
2. President Lyall outlined her three areas of quality on which the board will focus – (1) increasing student retention and graduation rates; (2) reversing eroding state GPR support per student for the UW System; and (3) restoring faculty positions to better balance faculty and instructional academic staff throughout the system.
3. Leonard Gambrell, emeriti professor of Political Science was awarded the 2002 Regent’s Teaching Excellence Award.