When the student union located on the lower level of Old Main (now Schofield Hall) was deemed substandard by then Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire President W.R. Davies in the mid-1950s, plans for a new facility were set in motion. After an advisory committee toured other campus unions and student opinions were gathered, a site for a student union was chosen just south of Old Main, bordered by a relocated Little Niagara Creek. The College Center was completed in 1959 and named for W.R. Davies in 1960, just a few months after Davies’ death. Having undergone numerous expansion and renovation projects through the years, the building will be replaced by a new Davies Center to be built just south of the existing facility, with construction scheduled to begin next year.
May 1, 2009 by