As construction of the Fine Arts Center and campus footbridge neared completion in 1970, these student jazz musicians, led at the time by composer, arranger and former Broadway trumpet player Dominic Spera (under the staircase), were eager to get to the other side of the Chippewa River and take advantage of the new building’s professional, > Full story.
During the Ken Anderson era of Blugold basketball (1968-95), the coach, himself a UW-Eau Claire graduate and former Blugold athlete, led his team to 14 conference titles and 15 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics tournament appearances. In this photo, which ran in the 1973 Periscope yearbook, loyal Blugold fans cheer the team on. View more > Full story.
Members of the class of 1965 make their way to the University Fieldhouse (now Zorn Arena) for commencement exercises in early June of that year. The senior procession marked the completion of the graduates’ academic journey and the beginning of the next phase of their lives. View more historical photos on the UW-Eau Claire Archives > Full story.
In the fall of 1921, the Eau Claire State Normal School football team had but one goal for the season: to beat the River Falls State Normal School in the teams’ matchup that year. These photographs, featured in the 1922 edition of the Periscope, the university’s yearbook for many years, are of the game in > Full story.
Homecoming is a time for camaraderie, and UW-Eau Claire’s cheerleaders and stuntmen do their part to bring the crowd together. Here the squad fires up Blugold fans during the 1988 Homecoming parade. Many alumni will no doubt recognize the establishment in the background, which was an Eau Claire institution for 30 years. Famous for its > Full story.
Just a mere 80 years ago this June, members of the Eau Claire State Teachers College Class of 1931 assembled for commencement exercises on the auditorium stage of Old Main, later to be named Schofield Hall. Unknown to the staff of The View is the significance of the years ’23 and ’24 appearing above the > Full story.
Beanie-sporting freshmen Marlys Larson ’61 and Betty Borne join other first-year students during the 1956 student government picnic held during orientation week on the south lawn of Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire. Beanies became hugely popular on U.S. college campuses in the 1920s and served to identify members of the freshman class. The blue > Full story.
A postcard printed in the early 1900s paints a dreamlike picture of Putnam Park, one of UW-Eau Claire’s most highly prized gems. The land previously owned by Eau Claire businessman, banker and lumberman Henry C. Putnam was donated in 1909 to the city of Eau Claire, which, in turn, transferred ownership to the university in > Full story.
The decade of the 1960s was a period of tremendous growth on the campus of what was then Wisconsin State University-Eau Claire. Construction on L.E. Phillips Science Hall (the building site on the left) began in summer 1963, and a major addition to Davies Center was completed in 1964. Seven residence halls also took shape > Full story.
When the student union located on the lower level of Old Main (now Schofield Hall) was deemed substandard by then Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire President W.R. Davies in the mid-1950s, plans for a new facility were set in motion. After an advisory committee toured other campus unions and student opinions were gathered, a > Full story.