The new building’s name, W.R. Davies Student Center, will continue to honor the memory of William R. Davies, who served as the second president of the university (then called the Eau Claire State Teachers College and later Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire) from 1941-59.
The $48.8 million student center construction project is funded entirely by student fees.
The original student center, formally named the W.R. Davies University Center, opened in 1959. It will be deconstructed to make way for campus green space after construction of the new student center is complete. The anticipated completion date for the W.R. Davies Student Center is summer 2012; the old Davies Center deconstruction and green space construction are expected to be completed by May 2013.
To view student center construction in real time, click on Construction News on the university’s home page (www.uwec.edu), and then click on the web cam graphic.