| "Good afternoon, all
Wisconsin Area Health Education Center (AHEC) is pleased to offer the Statewide Community Health Internship Program (CHIP) for Summer 2013. Please pass this along to the students you may know or work with.
Students selected for the program are usually undergraduate students in the junior or senior year, or first year health professions, MPH or other graduate students with a strong interest in public health.
Wisconsin AHEC Statewide
Community Health Internship Program, Summer 2013
June 3- July 26, 2013
Full-day orientation in Madison on Friday, May 31,
Stipend $2400 for 8 weeks
This unique program links undergraduate and graduate student interns with local health departments, community health centers, tribal health centers, community-based organizations, and other agencies throughout the state to address a variety of public health issues. Projects vary widely to suit interns' interests and abilities. Mentors provide technical support and assistance and facilitate shadowing opportunities to help interns gain an understanding and appreciation of the broad range of public health activities undertaken at the local level.
The program is offered at sites statewide. Students receive a stipend ($2400 for 8 weeks) and housing assistance if needed. A similar program is offered in Milwaukee.
Statewide applicants indicate their preferences from a list of proposed projects. We do our best to match students with their project interest and location preference. Previous interns have engaged in:
* Chronic disease prevention (e.g., implementation of a community physical activity promotion
* Environmental health programs (e.g., sampling and analysis of beaches, pools and wells)
* Local policy and program development (e.g., community health assessments)
* Health education (e.g., planning and curriculum development of training for day care providers)
* Improving access to healthcare services (e.g., development of a free clinic)
* Photovoice projects (e.g., using photography to enable members of underserved communities to
provide their perspective in the community health assessment process)
* Marketing and communication (e.g., development of social media tools and videos)
* Research (e.g., survey design, focus groups, literature searches, statistical methods, and program
The full application requires:
1) completion of the online application
2) two letters of recommendation
3) a complete set of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
*The application deadline for the Statewide program is 8am on Monday, February 25, 2013.*
*Deadline for the applications to the Milwaukee program ONLY is 4pm on Thursday, March 15, 2013.*
Applications are available now. For complete program information and application, see
http://wisc-ahec.typepad.com/chip/ or contact Mandy Meloy at firstname.lastname@example.org "