MAILED: March 28, 2001
EAU CLAIRE The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire music and theatre arts department will present the following musical performances the week beginning Monday, April 9. All events are free and open to the public.
MONDAY, April 9:
TUESDAY, April 10:
- Clarinetist Jill Grehn, a senior from Ashland, will give a recital at 7:30 p.m. in Phillips Recital Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. Community member Lori Cruciani will accompany on piano, and senior Derek Curless, Janesville, will assist on tuba. She will perform two pieces from George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess," "Concertante" by Norman Dello Joio, Peter Schickele's "Little Suite for Winter for Clarinet and Tuba" and "Introduction, Theme and Variations" by Gioacchino Rossini.
WEDNESDAY, April 11:
- Eleven students will perform in a flute studio recital at 5 p.m. in Phillips Recital Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. The works they will perform range from "White Tailed Kite" by Robert Wykes to "Concerto in G major" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The students are juniors Sandra Bell, Beaver Dam, Courtney Gritzmacher, West Allis, Heidi Olsen, Green Bay; sophomores Melissa Weis, Oconomowoc, Mariel Carter, Marinette, Amy McFarlane, Menasha, Sara Heitzinger, Stevens Point, Michelle DeGroot, Appleton, Sydney Francis, Fort Atkinson, and Rachel Dahl, Appleton; and freshman Leigh Durbahn, Mankato, Minn.
THURSDAY, April 12:
- The Clearwater Saxophone Quartet will perform at 5 p.m. in Phillips Recital Hall. The quartet is made up of seniors Eugene Power, Apple Valley, Minn., Jim Gornick, Lancaster, and Dave Strong, Burnsville, Minn., and sophomore Matt McVeigh, Stevens Point. The recital will include such works as "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" by J.S. Bach and three pieces written by senior Nick Poss, Eau Claire.
- Senior Emily Johnson, a soprano from Chaseburg, will give a recital at 7:30 p.m. in Gantner Concert Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. Senior Nick Poss, Eau Claire, will accompany on piano, and associate professor of music and theatre arts Daniel R. Newman, tenor, and senior Jeff Madison, a baritone from Woodbury, Minn., will assist. Among other works, they will perform Gabriel Fauré's "Nell," Felix Mendelssohn's "Das Mädchen's Klage" and "Nobody Makes a Pass at Me" from Harold Rome's "Pins and Needles."
- Juniors Michael Roesch, Eau Claire, and Jared Ziegler, Menomonie, will perform on alto saxophone at 5 p.m. in Phillips Recital Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. Community member Judy Lies will accompany on piano. The following students will assist on one of the pieces: senior Jesse Stacken, Hopkins, Minn., piano; senior Adrian Suarez, Oconomowoc, drums; and junior Graydon Peterson, Cedar, Minn., bass. The performance will include "Triskelion" by UW-Eau Claire professor of music and theatre arts Michael Cunningham and Alexander Glazunov's "Concerto."
Janice B. Wisner
UW-Eau Claire News Bureau
Updated: March 28, 2001