||Schofield Hall 218|
||Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004|
Fine Arts Center to Be Named
For Leonard and Dorellen Haas
MAILED: April 6, 1998|
EAU CLAIRE -- The Fine Arts Center at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will be named for the university's former chancellor and his wife, Leonard and Dorellen Haas.
The UW System Board of Regents approved the name change during its April meeting this week.
Leonard Haas, who died March 14, was associated with UW-Eau Claire for 44 years, including 21 as its chancellor. While never formally employed by the university, Dorellen Haas served the university as Chancellor's Haas' spouse and in 1980 received honorary alumna status in recognition of her support to and love of UW-Eau Claire.
The Fine Arts Center was dedicated to Leonard and Dorellen Haas in 1986 in recognition of their longtime support and enjoyment of the arts. It was understood at that time that the request to name the building would eventually be made to the Board of Regents.
The Fine Arts Center, built in 1970, houses the university's departments of music and theatre arts and art. It includes the Gantner Concert Hall, one recital hall, one small theater and the Foster Art Gallery. It is the site of hundreds of concerts, student and faculty recitals, art exhibits and other fine arts programs throughout the year.
A ceremony to name the building the Leonard and Dorellen Haas Fine Arts Center will take place April 24, in conjunction with the annual Provost's Lecture. Dorellen Haas and other members of the Haas family are expected to attend the event.
Each year an outstanding member of the faculty is chosen as the Provost's Lecturer by a committee of distinguished faculty. This year the Provost's Lecturer is Penelope Cecchini, professor of music. Cecchini, a pianist who has studied and performed internationally, is preparing a program on Chopin for the April 24 event. Cecchini came to UW-Eau Claire in 1966 when Leonard Haas was president of the Wisconsin State University at Eau Claire. Leonard and Dorellen have been ardent admirers of Cecchini's talents ever since.
Leonard Haas, who became UW-Eau Claire's third chief executive when he was named president in 1959, retired from the chancellor position in 1980 and from the university in 1985. The period of Haas's tenure at UW-Eau Claire was marked by rapid growth in enrollment, curriculum and facilities. In 1941, when he first joined the university's faculty, there were 600 students on a campus of 27 acres. By the time he retired, there were 11,000 students and 25 buildings on 314 acres.
For additional information about the April 24 Provost's Lecture, call the University Service Center, (715) 836-3727.
Janice B. Wisner
UW-Eau Claire News Bureau
Updated: April 6, 1998