MAILED: Jan. 30, 1997
EAU CLAIRE - The schedule of activities for Winter Carnival 1997 is set for Feb. 12-16 at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Highlights include a reggae concert, an improvisational comedy show, a talent competition, a midnight screening of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," and Cabin concerts by flutist Peter Phippen. The celebration also sets campus groups and individuals in competition with each other in a variety of tournaments.
- Wednesday: The festival begins at 6 p.m. with a night cross-country skiing and snow shoeing excursion to the Tower Ridge ski area. The trip is limited to 20 participants; the fee is $2. More information is available from University Recreation, (715) 836-3616.
- Thursday: The Omega, a four-seat, open-cockpit motion simulator, will be set up in Davies Center's east lobby from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The latest in virtual reality, the Omega combines head-mounted 3-D immersive displays and state-of-the-art computerized hydraulics. Rides are free.
A van will leave Thursday at 3 p.m. for an evening of downhill skiing at the Coffee Mill Ski Area, Wabasha, Minn. The trip is limited to 20 participants; the fee is $15. More information is available from University Recreation.
Thursday through Sunday, three short films by director Martin Scorsese will be presented at 6 and 8:30 p.m. in Davies Theatre. Tickets are $1 for UW-Eau Claire students, or $2 for UW-Eau Claire faculty/staff and International Film Society members, at the University Service Center, (715) 836-3727. International Film Society memberships are available for $4 at the Service Center.
Tournament competition begins Thursday with eight-ball billiards (7 p.m., Hilltop Center).
Ethnic flutist Peter Phippen will perform Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m. in The Cabin, Davies Center. Admission is free; refreshments will be sold.
- Friday: Tournaments continue with broomball (3 p.m., Crest Wellness Center ice rink).
A snow cave camping and outdoor cooking excursion will begin at 4 p.m. Friday at the northeast corner of Hilltop Center. Participants may camp overnight.
A Stupid Human Tricks Competition will be presented at 7 p.m. Friday in the Council Fire Room, Davies Center. Any type of talent is encouraged; cash prizes will be awarded for first place ($50), second place ($30), and third place ($20). Contestants must sign up at the Activities and Programs Office, Davies Center 133, by noon Friday. Admission to the event is free.
ComedySportz - a fast-paced comedy competition complete with referee, points and penalties - will be presented at 9 p.m. in the Council Fire Room. Two teams of comedians will improvise a series of comedy sketches based on audience suggestions. Tickets are $5 ($3 for UW-Eau Claire students) at the Service Center and the door; Stupid Human Tricks competitors will be admitted free.
Sneakers Dance Club, the campus alcohol-free bar in Crest Wellness Center, celebrates its birthday and Valentine's Day with a party that begins at 9 p.m. Friday. The cover charge is $2; a college or university ID card is required for admission.
A Winter Carnival tradition continues with a Friday screening of the popular cult film "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at midnight in the Council Fire Room. Roger Ebert has called the 1975 film "not so much a movie as more of a long-running social phenomenon." Tickets are $2 for UW-Eau Claire students, UW-Eau Claire faculty/staff and International Film Society members, at the Service Center and the door.
- Saturday: Tournaments continue Saturday with broomball (10 a.m., Crest Wellness Center ice rink); snow softball (10 a.m., Towers Recreational Fields 1 and 2), and badminton (noon, McPhee Center 210B and 210C).
Breakfast will be accompanied by Looney Tunes cartoons in Davies and Hilltop Cafeterias from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A Jamaica Jam featuring the International Reggae All Stars, with special guests Prince Jabba and Shalita, will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Council Fire Room. Tickets are $7 ($5 with a UW-Eau Claire student ID card) at the Service Center and the door. The show is open to all ages; proof of age is required in the bar area.
Sneakers Dance Club will host a Winter Carnival Party starting at 9 p.m. in Crest Wellness Center. The cover charge is $2; a college or university ID card is required for admission.
- Sunday: Winter Carnival tournaments conclude with four-on-four volleyball (4 p.m., McPhee Center 210B and 210C); and bowling (3 p.m., Hilltop Center).
Pre-registration is required for all tournaments. Entry forms and rules are available at University Recreation in Hilltop Center, and the Activities and Programs Office in Davies Center. All winning teams receive Winter Carnival T-shirts.
Winter Carnival activities are sponsored by the University Activities Commission of the UW-Eau Claire Student Senate.
Janice B. Wisner
UW-Eau Claire News Bureau
Updated: April 23, 1997