University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

NEWS RELEASE

News Bureau . Schofield Hall 201 . Eau Claire, WI 54702
phone: (715) 836-4741
fax: (715) 836-2900

New Exhibit Tells History
Of UW-Eau Claire Building Names

 MAILED:  Sept. 17, 2003

EAU CLAIRE — Alumni, friends and current students of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire have a new history exhibit to enjoy in McIntyre Library’s Grand Corridor. “When Did Our Professors Become Buildings?” went on display Sept. 16 and will run through Oct. 31.

The exhibit highlights the history of 18 campus buildings named for various former faculty members or administrators. According to Heather Muir, assistant professor and special collections librarian, she took the title of the exhibit from an incident described in a memoir by Clarice Chase Dunn, class of 1937. Dunn wrote that when Bill Gaven, class of 1926, returned to the UW-Eau Claire campus in 1980 for an “Ask an Alum” seminar, he remarked that his beloved professors had turned into buildings.

The exhibit will let current students know, for example, that Zorn is not just the name of the gymnasium where commencement occurs and Blugold games are played, but the name of a former coach and teacher, and that the university’s Kjer Theatre, formerly the Little Theatre, was renamed in 1965 to honor a former faculty member, director of theater and chair of the department of speech, Earl S. Kjer.

Muir said she also is hoping the exhibit will encourage alumni who are returning for homecoming to reminisce and share stories about the professors for whom these buildings were named.

Visit the Web site for an online version of this exhibit.

For more information, contact Muir at (715) 836-3873 or muirha@uwec.edu.

-30-
NW


UW-Eau Claire Home

Excellence. Our measure, our motto, our goal.

 Judy Berthiaume, Director
UW-Eau Claire News Bureau
Schofield 201
(715) 836-4741
newsbur@uwec.edu

Updated: September 23, 2003