Through the UWEC On the Hub Software Download Center, it is possible for individuals with UW-Eau Claire accounts to install Microsoft products on their personal computers for free (or at a low cost). Products available include, among others, Windows 10, Parallels for Mac, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
Note: Microsoft Office will no longer be available through the On the Hub Software Download Center. It will now be available through Office 365.
This documentation includes:
- Important Recommendations
- Using UWEC's On the Hub Software Download Center
- As you register for your account, you will be asked to select your status from the Group of which you are a member dropdown menu. If you select any option other than student, you will not see all the software options. Faculty/Staff: After registering your account, contact the LTS Help Desk (715-836-5711 or email@example.com) to have these student options added to your account.
- When adding software to your cart, you have the option to pay $4.95 to ensure access to your download(s) and/or key(s) for 24 months (as opposed to the 1 month that is guaranteed by default). We recommend that you invest in this option, as it will guarantee that you have access to your downloads and keys for two years, which can protect your access even if your system crashers or you get a new computer and wish to download the software again.
Below is documentation detailing how to register and view products in the Software Center.
Before downloading software from UWEC's On the Hub Software Center, you will need to register for an account. This proves your affiliation to the University. Then, you will be able to browse software, make an order, download, and install the software on your computer.
Go to http://uwec.onthehub.com. Your screen will look something like this:
- Click Continue. On the page that appears, click Register.
NOTE:If this is not your first time using this webpage, enter your login credentials to access the site.
- Enter your UWEC email address in the text box, then click Continue.
NOTE: Only your UWEC email address can be used when setting up an account. This is how On The Hub establishes that your account is affiliated with the university.
- Enter your name, username, and password. Then, from the Group of which you are a member dropdown menu, select the appropriate option. As mentioned above, if you are not a student you will not see all the options. After registering for an account, contact the LTS Help Desk to have these other options added to your account.
NOTE: For security reasons, DO NOT use your UWEC password for this website.
- Click Register, then check your UWEC email for a verification email. Click the link in the email, and it will bring you to the page shown below.
- Click Continue to complete the registration process. At this point, you may be required to sign in with your username and password once more.
- Once you are logged into the Software Center, you will see a welcome screen. Click Continue.
- You will be directed to the product list. Note that you will automatically see Microsoft products. If you wish to view other available products, use the tabs above the product display.
- Click the icon or name of the desired product in the list to view more details.
- You will see a description of the product. Click Add To Cart.
- You will be directed to your cart. You will see all products you have added, along with a total cost. If you wish to remove an object from your cart at any time, select Remove next to the product.
Note: At this time, you will be able to add the Extended Access Guarantee (24 months) as recommended above. This will give you access to your download(s) and/or key(s) for 24 months after your order, as opposed to the 1 month guaranteed by default. The Extended Access Guarantee is NOT necessary to use your program.
- To browse other products, click Continue Shopping. If you are done adding products to your cart, click Check Out to make your order.
Once you have placed your order, you will receive an email with a link taking you directly to the screen from which you can download your products. You can also get to this screen as described below.
- After placing your order, click Your Account/Orders at the top of the screen.
- To download the product(s), click Order History to find your order.
- In the Items section, click the name of the product you wish to download.
- Click Start Download in the top right-hand corner of the Items section.
- Click Download SDM and install the Secure Download Manager as directed. Once this is installed, the SDM should automatically launch. If not, double-click the icon on your desktop.
- Click Start next to the file you wish to download.
- If you wish to start the installation of your software at this time, click Launch when prompted.
- When prompted to activate the product, click Enter a product key instead.
- Enter the product key you received from On the Hub and click Continue.