print header
Mcintyre Library in the spring

The Office of Loss Prevention and Safety works in partnership with other areas on campus to ensure the health and safety of faculty and students.

NOTE: Students driver authorization expires May 31st of each year.


Completed forms for students are to be returned to the driver's immediate supervisor or faculty sponsor for their signature and promptly forwarded to the Office of Loss Prevention &Safety in McIntyre Library Room 5011. Email notification of a denial will be made to both the driver and supervisor/faculty member.

Please allow processing time up to 10 days. Here is a link to where staff members can check on authorized drivers:

 Driver Authorization and Vehicle Use

The purpose of this information is to provide the UW-Eau Claire campus with procedures regarding driving requirements that must be met in order for officers, employees, students, volunteers or agents to be authorized to use a State/University owned, leased, rented or personally owned vehicle on university business. 

It is critical to remember that driving any vehicle on university business is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers compensation experience of the university.

It is appropriate to drive when the purpose of the trip fits the mission of the university or the official business of the university is carried out as a result of the trip. Anyone driving on state business must be an active officer, employee, currently enrolled student, or specified volunteer or agent. A valid relationship between the university and the driver must be in place prior to being authorized.

Driver Authorization is required for officers, employees, students, volunteer or agents whose duties require them to drive on university business. This includes using: a State or University vehicle,·any rented or leased vehicle while on university business, or·a personally-owned vehicle. Coverage for use of university-owned vehicles is restricted to the State Self-Funded Liability Program. It is a requirement of the State Self-Funded Liability Program that anyone driving on behalf of the university must have a Driver Authorization Form on file in the Loss Prevention and Safety Office, prior to departure.

When driving a personal vehicle on university business, the vehicle owner's personal coverage is primary. The State liability protection applies on an excess basis only. The State liability and property program do not provide coverage for non-university vehicles. The vehicle owner should contact their personal insurance company to determine how coverage will be applied for business use of their vehicle.

In general, non-employee and non-agent passengers are not allowed to ride in vehicles being used on university business due to the additional liability exposure which they pose. Contact 715-836-4414 or 715-836-5482  Loss Prevention and Safety for further information.


 Minimum Driving Requirements:

  1. Must have a valid operator's license. (New residents to Wisconsin must obtain a WI driver's license within 60 days of residence; 30 days if the   person holds a CDL.)
  2. Must have minimum of two years licensed driving experience (not including instructional experience).
  3. Must be eighteen (18) years of age.


 Driver Disqualification:

  1. Three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in the past two years.
  2. An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)/Driving Under the Influence (DUI) citation within 12 months.
  3. Expired license.
  4. Suspension or revocation of driver's license.
  5. Possession of an occupational license only.
  6. Less than two years driving experience.
  7. License reinstated for less than one year.


 UW-Eau Claire Driver Authorization Process:

By signing the UW-Eau Claire Driver Authorization Form, the driver is agreeing to inform their supervisor and the UW-Eau Claire Risk Manager  whenever any negative change in the status of their driving record may occur. Any negative change in the status of one's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business.  The State of Wisconsin Fleet Policies and Procedures are to be reviewed prior to granting authorization.

Once approved to drive, drivers will be placed on the UW-EC Authorized Driver List.  Supervisors can access this link to confirm approved drivers.

An email will be sent to the requestor and the supervisor when a request has been denied or if further information is needed.


1.UW-Eau Claire Driver Authorization Form must be completed and signed by the driver and by the supervisor of the department managing the driver.

2 The completed paperwork can be delivered to: Loss Prevention & Safety no later than 10 business days before driving approval is needed. Please drop your forms off at McIntyre Library Room 5011 or via fax 715-836-4807 or send via campus mail to Attn: Loss Prevention and Safety. (do not send information via email).


1.UW-Eau Claire Driver Authorization Form must be completed and signed by the driver and by the supervisor of the department managing the driver.

2. A completed Notarized Statement form is required OR a copy of the out of state driver's record.

3. The notarized statement is found here: UWEC Notarized Form

4. Notary's can be found at the service center in the Davies Student Center.

The notarized statement must list any moving violations and/or describe accidents in the past three years.  Also, please attach a copy of the driver's license if outside of Wisconsin.


1. Effective July 1, 2006, the only acceptable international driving permit is from Canada. Any driver who has an out-of-country license and is requesting approval to drive on university business must pursue a Wisconsin driver's license.

Vehicle Use:

12/15 Passenger vans are banned from use, as directed by the Chancellor's Office.

Driving in other countries: Contact Loss Prevention and Safety at 715-836-5482.

Examples of appropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

1.Field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW-Eau Claire employee.

2.Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Eau Claire area and are course-required. (This would not include students who are required to train at some other site all day, i.e. student teaching, internships and coops).

3.Business errands for a department.

4.Conferences, meetings, events which are university-related.

5.Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note #1below for exceptions.)

6.Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the university, the program provides substantial benefit to the university, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Loss Prevention and Safety.

7.Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Examples of inappropriate use of a university owned or leased vehicle are:

1.Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.

2.Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.

3.Fraternity or Sorority business trips.

4.Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the university.

Vehicle Accident/Damage Reporting

University Owned Vehicle - In the event of an accident call the appropriate police department.  Check the glove box for a vehicle accident kit and follow the instructions. Notify Loss Prevention and  Safety as soon as possible. Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form. Submit the form to Loss Prevention and Safety.

UPDATED - 08/24/2016