Education and Professional
I received all my education in South Australia. I began my schooling in the mid-north, in the town of Snowtown, and then moved into the city of
Salisbury, where I attended Salisbury High School. I completed my education in chemistry at the
University of Adelaide.
Academic Lineage of the UW-Eau Claire Chemists
B.Sc. 1972 (chemistry), Ph.D. 1980 (organic chemistry), D.Sc. 2012 (chemistry)
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 1977-1980
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 1980-1981
Baylor University, Waco, TX 1981-1988
South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 1989-1997
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI 54702
Membership in Professional
Societies and Advisory Boards
Scientific Advisory Boards
Outstanding Paper Award, ACS Division of the History of Chemistry, 1997.
Visiting Distinguished Scholar, University of Adelaide, June-July, 1988.
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Chemistry, Central Wisconsin Section, ACS, 2006
- Outstanding Service Award, Central Wisconsin Section, ACS, 2010
- HIST-2010 Outstanding Paper Award, ACS Division of the History of Chemistry
American Men and Women of Science
Who's Who in Science & Technology
Who's Who in Science & Engineering
Who's Who in America
Who's Who Among America's Teachers
Publications, Patents, etc.
- Recent Publications:
- Lewis, D.E. "The protocenter concept: A method for teaching stereochemistry." J. Chem. Educ. 2010, 87, 604-608.
- Lewis, D.E. "Feuding Rule-Makers: Vladimir Vasil'evich Markovnikov (1838-1904) and Aleksandr Mikhailovich Zaitsev (1841-1910). A Commentary on the Origins of Zaitsev's Rule." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2010, 35, 115-124.
- Lewis, D.E. "150 years of organic structures." In Giunta, C.J., Ed. Atoms in Chemistry: From Dalton's Predecessors to Complex Atoms and Beyond. ACS Symp. Ser. 2010, 1044, 35-57.
- Stromich, J.J.; Weber, A.K.; Mirzaei, Y.R.; Caldwell, M.D.; Lewis, D.E. "New adjuvants to enhance anticoagulant activity of warfarin." Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2010, 20, 1928-1932.
- Lewis, D.E. "A. M. Zaitsev: Lasting contributions of a synthetic virtuoso a century after his death." Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2011, 50, 6452-6458; "A. M. Saytzeff: bleibendes Vermächtnis eines Virtuosen der Synthesechemie." Angew. Chem. 2011, 123, 6580-6586.
- Lewis, D.E. Early Russian Organic Chemists and Their Legacy. Rasmussen, S., Ed. SpringerBriefs in the History of Chemistry (Springer: Heidelberg, 2012); 136 pp.; [ISBN 978-3-642-28218-8].
- McKenney, R.K.; Groess, L.L.; Kopidlansky, K.M.; Dunkle, K.L.; Lewis, D.E. "The heterocycle of 4-substituted-1,8-naphthalimides is NOT inert to nucleophilic attack, contrary to earlier reports." Org. Biomol. Chem. 2013, 11, 4390-4396.
- Lewis, D.E. "Yegor Yegorovich Vagner (1849-1903): A 'wondrously sharpwitted' chemist." In Patterson, G.D.; Rasmussen, S.C., Eds. Characters in Chemistry; A Celebration of the Humanity of Chemistry. ACS Symp. Ser. 2013, 1136, ch. 9, pp. 143-165.
- Lewis, D.E. "Disability; Despotism; Deoxygenation—From exile to Academy member. Nikolai Matveevich Kizhner (1867-1935). Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 11704-11712. "Behinderung; Despotismus; Deoxygenierung—vom Exil zum Mitglied der Akademie. Nikolai Matwejewitsch Kishner (1867-1935)." Angew. Chem. 2013, 125, 11920-11928.
A complete list of refereed publications and patents can be downloaded here: (pdf format); (Word format)
Recent Research Presentations
"Citations for Chemical Breakthroughs Awards (Прорыв в химической науке)"; St. Petersburg State University, Russia, 10/31/2013; photographs from this event posted on the SPBU website
"Kazan—the Cradle of Russian Organic Chemistry (Казань—колыбель русского органической химии)"; Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia 11/7/2013 (Powerpoint) ; photographs from this visit posted on the KFU website here
Schedule for the Fall, 2013, semester
David E. Lewis
Department of Chemistry
All original materials on this web site are copyrighted by David E. Lewis, and their access by individuals for their own individual use is permitted. Their commercial use or transfer to any commercial identity without express written consent is prohibited.
updated: November 12, 2013
[UW-Eau Claire][College of Arts & Sciences] [Chemistry