Fall 2007


Featured Articles

Changes in HR

Dual Choice information  

Benefits Fair

Personal Information Campus Directory

2007 Charitable Campaign

Classified staff news online timesheets

Sabbatical and cash payment option

Classified Vacation Carryover

Unclassified leave statements

NEWLY-DESIGNED Student Timesheets!

Student deadlines and eligibility dates

Selective Service Compliance Policy

International students





All Employees

Changes in HR

In order to better serve the university community, the Office of Human Resources has undergone a reorganization of several key positions.

  • Sue Pettis, who previously administered the unclassified payroll and benefits, will be assuming the role of Benefits Specialist for faculty and academic staff.  In addition to benefits counseling and orientations, Sue will begin training on retirement counseling.  For benefits questions, please contact Sue at 36-2018.

  • Stacie Moyer, who previously had been the Student Payroll Specialist, will be assuming the role of Unclassified Payroll Specialist.  For questions relating to the unclassified payroll, please contact Stacie at 36-5260.

  • Finally, we would like to welcome Erika Kostner to our staff as the new Student Payroll Specialist.  Erika will be processing the student payroll as well as providing general office support.  The next time you are in the office, please make a point of introducing yourself to Erika.  The phone number for student payroll has been changed to 36-4068.

Please alert those in your department who may be affected by these changes.  A complete "Who's Who in HR" listing is available on our Web site.  Thank you for your support as we transition into the new roles.

2007 Dual Choice

The 2007 Dual Choice enrollment period will be held from Monday, October 8 through Friday, October 26, 2007.  During this time, currently insured employees may switch from one health plan to another or from single to family coverage without any waiting period for preexisting conditions.  Changes made during Dual Choice will become effective January 1, 2008.

NOTE:  In early October, Dual Choice booklets will be e-mailed to eligible employees.  E-mail messages will include a link to the Department of Employee Trust Fund's (ETF) Web site to obtain the "It's Your Choice" booklet.  Note: Paper copies of the Dual Choice booklet will no longer be sent through campus mail; however paper copies will be available upon request.

Open enrollment for ERA, DentalBlue, and Spectera will also be included in this year's open enrollment. 

  • Employee Reimbursement Account (ERA) enrollment for 2008 - Monday, October 8 through Friday, November 16, 2007

  • DentalBlue enrollment for 2008 - Monday, October 8 through Friday, October 26, 2007

  • Spectera Vision enrollment for 2008 - Monday, October 8 through Friday, November 16, 2007

Information will be sent to eligible employees as it becomes available.


Benefits Fair


Representatives from local insurance companies and health care providers will be on campus Monday, October 15, 2007 from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in the Council Fire Room of Davies Center.

Personal Information

Personal Changes

If your "family status" is changing, please check with Human Resources to see if there are insurance coverage changes.  You may change your address online at http://maple.uwec.edu/APP020ADR/AddressUpdate.asp.  Family status changes may include:

  • marriage or divorce

  • birth or adoption of a child

  • a child reaching 19 years old and not a student

  • a child reaching age 25

Campus Directory Changes

According to Wisconsin public records laws, the university cannot publish/release an employee's home address and telephone number electronically or in the UW-Eau Claire campus directory unless authorized by the employee.  All employees will soon be receiving an e-mail verifying whether or not their information will be published in UW-Eau Claire's campus printed directory and the online directory (Campus Directory Review).  Please e-mail Diane Willer with questions.


2007 Charitable Campaign

In late September all faculty and staff will receive the United Way and State Employees Combined Campaign packets, which will include a combined pledge card and brochures for both fund drives.  Direct questions to Barbara Bowers, campaign committee chair, at 36-3871 or e-mail bowersba.


Classified Staff News

Timesheets Online

Classified , WPEC , and LTE timesheets, along with pay schedules , can be found on Human Resources' Web site.


NOTE:  When using online timesheets, please access them from HR's Web site through Internet Explorer (not Excel) so you are using the most current pay period. If you use a "saved" timesheet from your computer, the timesheet may be incorrect.  Be sure to print on the appropriate color paper.

Sabbatical and Cash Payment Option

Notices for the classified sabbatical and cash payment options will be sent to eligible employees in November.  Eligibility criteria varies between union contracts.  Consult your union contract if you have questions about this benefit.

Classified Vacation Carryover

Classified Employees may carry over sixteen hours of vacation per their union contract.  Sixteen - forty hours of carryover requires verbal approval from your supervisor.  If you wish to carry over more than forty hours, you must submit a written request to Donna Weber, Interim Director in Human Resources.  Carryover must be used by June 30, 2008.


Unclassified Staff News

 Unclassified Leave Statements

Academic year unclassified employees will receive the first monthly leave statement for the academic year on or about 10/01/07.  Please remember to complete it and send it to your supervisor each month within five days of receipt.  Those employees with a 2007 summer session appointment will receive a leave statement on or about 9/01/07 covering the summer session.  If you are missing a previous report, you may access a generic statement on Human Resources' Web site in the forms section.  Refer questions to Barb Bowers at 36-3871 or e-mail bowersba.


Student Payroll News

Starting August 26th, 2007 all student employees need to use the newly-revised student timesheets.  The following changes have been made:
  • Social security numbers are being replaced by Blugold ID numbers. 
  • Account codes are being replaced by Department ID (DeptID).

These changes will also affect online eligibility, which requires DeptID.  Please refer to http://www.uwec.edu/bussvs/univAcct/WISDM.htm and click on the link "How to look up the SFS funding string" to find your DeptID. 

Please be sure to review all timesheets for completion (overtime, correct week ending dates, etc) and sign them before turning in for processing.


 Student Payroll Deadlines

Timesheets are due in the Human Resources office by noon every other Friday (unless otherwise noted).  Please refer to the Student Payroll Calendar on HR's Web site at http://www.uwec.edu/hr/student.HTM.   Student employee payroll forms are due in the Human Resources office the Monday prior to submitting a timesheet.  These forms include I-9, W-4, and direct deposit form.  All forms may be found on HR's Web site by clicking on forms and scrolling down to student forms.  A delay in turning in these forms will cause a delay in the student being paid.  Refer questions to Erika Kostner at 36-4068 or kostneea.



The academic year eligibility session begins August 26, 2007 and ends May 17, 2008.  Please make sure ALL student workers have a new academic year eligibility form on file before submitting their first academic year timesheet.  Please refer to Human Resources' Web site http://www.uwec.edu/hr/student.HTM for the payroll schedule. 

Selective Service Compliance Policy

When hiring new student employees - males (between the ages of 18 and not yet 26) must be registered with Selective Service.  Supervisors can check the BLUGOLD SYSTEM to see if a student has complied with this requirement.  If not, they must complete a Selective Service Compliance Form which may be found on Human Resources' Web site.  Refer questions to Erika Kostner at 36-4068 or kostneea.

International Students

All newly-hired international student employees need to make an appointment to see Stacie Moyer (e-mail moyers) to complete their payroll forms (i.e. I-9, tax forms including tax treaty forms).  Supervisors should enter the student's online eligibility form as soon as they want to start the employment process.  International students must not begin working until they have received approval from the Center for International Education to work on campus and completed forms with Stacie.

Human Resources Home Page
UW-Eau Claire Human Resources, Schofield 220, (715)836-2513

 Updated: Friday, August 31, 2007

UW-Eau Claire Home
Excellence. Our measure, our motto, our goal.