If you are looking for a great German Recipe you will with no doubt find one here! However, in the event nothing here suits your fancy, go to the bottom of the page and check out some of the links for even more tasty ideas.
|Spätzle! (a special kind of homemade pasta)
Makes 10 generous (½-cup plus) servings, slightly more than 3 ounces each. Recipe can be multiplied.
Part I - Spätzle
Note on Nutmeg: never put nutmeg in Spätzle!
Part II - Cream Sauce
This is a modified version of Chef Maurice Gorodesky's "Shallot Cream Sauce" (from the Maisonette Restaurant in Cincinnati). Original version reprinted in Bon Appetit, September 1999.
For six to eight servings for meat and or noodles. Note: recipe can be multiplied, but do reduce the amount of butter to only the amount you need for cooking the onions. I have multiplied this times 30 to good effect; it just takes patience! If you must interrupt the reduction at any point, don't worry. Cool down the sauce in an ice-water bath, cover tightly, and refrigerate. Reduction may be resumed at any time during a 24-hour period. This sauce is very forgiving.
Don't worry that the sauce will break if you boil it. The acidity in the wine prevents this. Once it is reduced, reheat it gently!
Sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover tightly and refrigerate.
Guten Appetit! Send questions to Jefford Vahlbusch at firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter.
2) Press the mixtures onto the bottom of a 10 inch pan with a removable rim so that the crumb mixture extends an inch or so up the bottom of the rim.
3) Beat the cream cheese with 1/3 cup sugar.
4) Add the eggs one at a time. Mix after each egg. (Mix until the mixture is smooth. You do not want to beat too much air into it. It will develop bubbles. But if it does, do not worry.)
5) Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Mix again until smooth.
6) Pour into the prepared pan.
7) Bake at 350-375 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until the cream cheese is lightly golden on top. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
8) In the meantime, mix the remaining sugar and vanilla (1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla) with the sour cream. Pour this mixture of this cake and bake for 10 minutes.
9) Serve cold.
Kirschtorte (Black Forest Cherry Cake)
Note on Chocolate Cake Mix: You of course can make a chocolate cake from scratch. If it doesn't include coco, add some.
Note on Chocolate Shavings: If you are unable to find chocolate shavings simply buy a candy bar. Make shavings by using a cheese grader.
1) The day before you want to construct the cake, soak the can of Cherries in Water with the 1/3 cup brandy. Since this cake is very sweet, adding the brandy balances the flavors.
2) Make the chocolate cake mix. After the cake is mixed add 1 tablespoon of coco. This will make it taste more authentic.
3) Divide the cake mix evenly into three round pans. It won't seem like there is a lot in each pan. That is how it should be!
4) Bake the cakes. Once cool, the cake is ready to be constructed.
6) Whip up the whipping cream while adding powder sugar. Add powder sugar until the whipping cream is thick.
7) Place the first cake on a plate. On the top edges of the cake put a thin ring of whipping cream.
8) Poke holes all over the cake with a knife. Using a spoon, soak the cake with cherry juice from the brandy soaked cherries.
9) Fill the layer with the can of brandy soaked cherries. Note that the whipping cream ring around the edges keeps the cherries from rolling off.
10) Over the cherries put a thin layer of whipping cream.
11) Place the second cake on top. Repeat step 8.
12) Cover the cake with whipping cream. Note that this layer only includes the whipping cream.
13) Place the third layer on top. Repeat step 8.
14) Frost the entire cake top and sides.
15) Decorate the cake with Maraschino Cherries and dust with the chocolate shavings.
|Rehherzragout (Deer Heart Ragout)
Ok, so maybe you're wondering, just where am I going get a deer heart? Well, here's a little secret, you can substitute almost any type of meat and this recipe will still be great!
Wash the heart thoroughly under cold water, cutting
away any arteries, fat or connective tissue. Slice in half lengthwise and
then into bite size pieces crosswise.