print header

Student Employment Manual

*The University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, religion, creed, color, sex, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, relationship to other employees, sexual orientation, disability, veteran's status, membership in the National Guard, state defense force or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States of this state, arrest or conviction record, political affiliation or other protected status.

**It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified, disabled individuals who are employees or applicants for employment. UW-Eau Claire will adhere to all applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable accommodations as required to afford equal employment opportunity to qualified, disabled individuals. Reasonable accommodations will be provided in a timely and cost-effective manner. Employment opportunities shall not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations to an individual’s disability. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Affirmative Action Office, Room 217, Schofield Hall.

According to university policy, all open student employment positions (both work study and non-federal) should be posted on the Student Employment Job Board, available at .  This job board is free to both employers and students.  Posting on the job board does not, in any way, restrict the employer from also advertising a student employment position using other means.  The expectation is simply that the open position be posted on the job board as a basic step.

There are two types of University employment: Federal Work-Study and Non-Federal Student Employment. The following description briefly explains these two programs. For a more detailed explanation, contact the Financial Aid Office.

What is Federal Work-Study? Work-Study is federal student aid awarded as part of a total financial aid package. An allotment of work-study is an offer of eligibility for University employment. Its intent is to assist in covering educational expenses during the year in which it is awarded. Total Federal Work-Study earnings for a calendar year are subtracted out of a student’s adjusted gross income on the income exclusions section of the following year’s financial aid application. This results in a lower estimated family contribution on which the upcoming academic year financial aid awards are based.

What is the application process for Federal Work-Study? On the financial aid application students are given the opportunity to choose between accepting loan, federal work-study, or a combination of the two. If the applicant is found eligible for financial aid and has designated federal work-study on the application, the student will then receive a federal work-study allotment on the Financial Aid Proposal. If your award notification includes Federal Direct Stafford/Ford or Perkins loan, you may change the loan to federal work-study by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

What is Non-Federal Student Employment? Non-Federal Student Employment allows students to work on-campus under a non-federal work account. It is not a type of financial aid and is not based on need. Any student may seek a non-federal job.

How is a job located? Students have the responsibility to find their own employment. A Student Employment brochure is available from the Financial Aid Office and provides information on how to find a job. An On-line Job Placement Board is maintained by the Financial Aid Office and contains information regarding all types of employment opportunities. In addition to the "job board," students should apply directly to administrative offices and educational departments in which they may have an interest to work. The Financial Aid Office also sponsors a job fair, held the opening week of the fall semester, for academic year employment opportunities.

What happens after a job is located? When employment is found, students must have an on-line eligibility form completed by their supervisor. Supervisors should access this form on Internet Explorer. On the University Home Page, supervisors should click on "Faculty and Staff", followed by "Blugold Insider". The supervisor's user name and password will be requested, click on "Administrative Resources", then "Student Employment Eligibility Form". An Employment Verification (I-9) Form, a Direct Deposit Form, and a Federal and State Tax Withholding Form must also be completed. Assistance in completing I-9 and tax forms can be obtained through the Human Resources Office.

How many hours per week may I work, and when do I get paid? Once the Eligibility Form has been submitted on-line, students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. Employers should question their employees as to whether or not they have more than one job. If the student is employed in more than one university position, the hours must be coordinated between the employers so that they do not work in excess of 40 hours per week. If a student works in excess of 40 hours per week the University is required to pay the student overtime (time-and-a-half). The charge of the overtime is prorated among the various departments or offices in which the student is employed. Employers will process Student Time Reports so that students are paid on a biweekly basis.

How long does eligibility last? There are two periods of student eligibility: (1) Academic Year and (2) Summer Session. Eligibility does not transfer from one eligibility period to another. Under federal work-study, students may continue working until their allotments have been earned for that eligibility period. Students who earn their federal work-study allotment before the end of the academic year will have to terminate employment unless the student changes to non-federal student employment. For non-federal student employment there is no limit on the amount of money that can be earned in an eligibility period. To be eligible for federal work-study during the Summer Session, a separate financial aid application must be completed. This summer application is available on the Blugold System.


There are two student eligibility periods: (1) Academic Year and (2) Summer Session. Academic Year eligibility begins the Sunday of fall registration week and extends through the Saturday of spring graduation or the last day of final exams, whichever is later.  Summer Session eligibility begins the day after spring finals or the day after commencement, whichever is later, and extends through the Saturday of fall registration week. Students must establish a separate eligibility for each period; Eligibility is not transferable from one period to another.

Do not make assumptions regarding student eligibility for federal work-study or non-federal student employment. Employers must not hire a student or have a student begin working before the student's eligibility form, I-9, direct deposit form, and tax forms have been completed and are returned to the appropriate office.

International students are not eligible for federal work-study as it is prohibited by federal law. However, they may be employed under non-federal student employment.

International students must come to the Human Resources Office to complete the necessary forms after hiring. The Human Resources Office will send their eligibilty forms to the Center for International Education for approval after which the student will return the form to their employer for completion. The Human Resources Office will help foreign students complete their I-9 after checking their VISA and complete appropriate tax withholding forms (considering tax treaties, etc.). International students must obtain a Social Security card prior to beginning work. Student time reports will not be processed with a missing social security number or a social security number beginning with 100-.

A student who has terminated enrollment at the University (e.g., graduated, suspended, transferred or withdrew) is not eligible for Federal Work-Study Employment.

A student's last day of work must correspond with the last day of attendance at the University unless a graduating senior is hired for a short term basis (i.e. winterim or summer). The student must  be paid from Non Federal funds.

For all other graduating seniors, the last day of work should be the last day of final exams or commencement day, whichever is later.



Employers should maintain accurate records of their student employees. Information submitted on the on-line work eligibility forms must correspond to the account information indicated on Student Time Reports; otherwise, delayed paychecks result.

If an employer hires a student and plans to pay the student from two different accounts, two on-line eligibility forms must be submitted (one for each account).

Completing eligibility forms:

  1. Student employment supervisors must complete the on-line eligibility form before the student may begin work.
  2. Students must complete the Employment Eligibility Verification (1-9) Forms with their campus employer. Two of four identification documents are required: a Driver's License or a UWEC ID card to establish identity AND an original Social Security Card or Birth Certificate to determine eligibility to work. REMEMBER - refer to the Blugold system to see if an I-9 is already on file in the Payroll Office. If a year appears under "I-9" then another I-9 does not need to be completed.
  3. Students must complete a W-4 Federal Tax Form with their employer. Wisconsin resident's WI-4 statements are now included on the Federal Form. Out-of-state residents and International students should go to the Payroll Office to complete their tax documents. REMEMBER - refer to the Blugold system to see if the required tax forms have already been filed with the Payroll Office. It is not necessary to complete these forms if a year is listed in the "W-4" and "WI-4" fields.
  4. Once the student eligibility has been entered into the HRS payroll system, this job will stay active until the supervisor advises HR of termination, or due to six months of payroll inactivity, an automatic termination has been added.
  5. A supervisor must complete a new eligibility for:Department ID changes/pay rate increases/supervisor changes/to stop a job from payroll Federal Work Study.

I-9 forms, direct deposit forms, and Tax forms should be returned to the Human Resources Office, Schofield 220. ALL FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE PRIOR TO THE JOB BECOMING ACTIVE.

Any change of information on an Eligibility Form (i.e. rate of pay, account code, new supervisor, etc.) requires a new on-line Eligibility Form to be submitted. A change in pay rate must be submitted on the on-line Eligibility form before a student can receive an increase in pay. Retroactive pay increases will not be processed by the Human Resources Office.

If an employer continues to employ a student from first semester to second semester, it is not necessary to submit a new on-line Eligibility form for second semester employment since both terms are within the same eligibility period.


  • Entry Level ($7.25 - $7.95)
  • Intermediate Level ($8.00 - $9.95)
  • Advance Level ($10.00 and up)

Individual departments will have the freedom and flexibility to choose appropriate pay rates for their student employees.


  1. Students who wish to have Federal Work-Study during the Summer Session must apply for summer financial aid, and be enrolled at least half-time.
  2. Graduating students are not eligible to work beyond the last day of enrollment or graduation, whichever comes last.
  3. No hours should be mistakenly reported for a holiday.  If students work on a holiday (e.g. Memorial Day), The supervisor must verify it by wiriting "OK" and initialing the hours for that day.
  4. A student admitted as a "special student" during the Summer Session may only be paid from a Non-Federal funding source and may only be employed during their actual period of enrollment (e.g. interim, four week or eight week session).




The Financial Aid Office and the Human Resources Office will be monitoring all phases of the Federal Work-Study and Non-Federal Student Employment programs. Situations where employers/employees do not abide by these regulations will be reviewed and penalties will be determined by those reviewing the violation. The misrepresentation of hours worked on timesheets is a serious offense and can result in both university and criminal action.


A variety of community service jobs are available on-campus as are some community service type positions located off-campus. Contact the Center for Service-Learning for more information.


In the past, non-UW System students and high school students hired by UW-Eau Claire were paid as LTEs on the classified payroll. A recent change in the definition in Financial Administration Employment of Student Help policy (G18) allows us to revise our past practice. Policy (G18) allows all student employees to be paid through the regular student payroll process, including students from:

  • An accredited institution of higher learning
  • Technical college
  • Vocational or trade school
  • High School

Students must be prepared to show a school ID along with proof of enrollment within that institution.  A transcript or what is known as DARF will be sufficient proof that they are enrolled for classes in the current or upcoming semester.  The supervisor must complete the Non-Federal Work-Study Employment Eligibility Form, attach proof of enrollment and send into Student Payroll.  Anyone under the age of 18 must obtain a child labor permit prior to the beginning of their employment.


Q. Can a student reduce his/her educational loans in order to receive an increase in his/her Federal Work-Study?
A. Yes, if the loan is based on financial need.

Q. Is Non-Federal Student Employment different from Federal Work-Study?
A. Yes, they are two separate programs with separate legislated eligibility criteria.

Q. Can a student work on Non-Federal Student Employment after his/her Federal Work-Study has been earned?
A. Yes.

Q. May a student get paid using a temporary Social Security number (100-12-3456)?
A. No.

Q. Does a supervisor need to complete an on-line Eligibility Form for each job or change in rate of pay?
A. Yes. If a student will be working for different employers with different account numbers, each account must appear on the student’s payroll record in order for the student to be paid. Also, if a student’s rate of pay changes, they must submit a new on-line eligibility form.

Q. How can an employer determine how much a student may earn if that student was hired during or toward the end of the semester?
A. Check the Blugold system for "Remaining AY Federal Work-study Allocation" or call the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

Q. How does an employer know if a student is working more than one job?
A. Employers should require employees to inform them if they have more than one job.

Q. Can an employer switch a student from Federal Work-Study to Non-Federal Student Employment?
A. Yes. However, a new on-line eligibility form is required.

Q. What if the immediate/backup supervisor is not available to approve hours?
A. A supervisor can contact HR to give their permission for HR to approve the hours for them.

Q. Does a student have to be enrolled for courses during Summer Session in order to work?
A. Yes.  Student must be enrolled at least half time to be potentially eligible to earn Federal Work-Study.  No, if the student is earning non-federal.

Q. Do students need a new on-line Employment Eligibility form for each semester?
A. No, once a job has been activated, it remains active until the supervisor advises HR to terminate or the job has been inactive for six months, whichever comes first.

Q. Can a student begin work before they complete an on-line Eligibility Form and an I-9 form?
A. No.

Q. What if a student needs help completing their tax withholdings forms?
A. The Human Resources Office staff will be available to assist students with questions on tax withholding. If the student is not a Wisconsin resident or is an international student, please refer them to the Human Resources Office for the appropriate form.

Q. If a student has more than one job on campus, do they get a separate paycheck for each job?
A. No. All campus and off campus federal work-study positions are included on one deposit.

Q. Do students need to complete new tax withholding forms for each job?
A. Only if the student wants to change their exemption status.  Be sure to check the Blugold system to see if the student has completed the W-4.  If a student is claiming exempt, they must complete a new W-4 each year.  Out-of-state residents and international employees please refer to latest W-4 form located under Student Payroll.  Any questions regarding this may be referred to the Human Resources Office.

Q. How does a student obtain their W-2 statement?
A. W-2 statements are mailed in late January to their permanent address. Foreign student’s W-2 statements are mailed to their local address.  W-2 statements are also available with the student's portal by going to :  UWEC site/Human Resources/My UW" System and signing into their portal.  The statements are found under "tax statements" tab.

Q. Do I need to do anything differently when I hire an international student?
A. Yes. Make sure they have a Social Security card prior to working. Send them to the Human Resources Office for an eligibility form, Non-Resident Alien tax forms, etc.

Q. How many hours per week may an international student work?
A. An international student may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week in the summer.

Q. Does the University have a mandatory break time policy for student employees?
A. There are no laws requiring that breaks be given. It is up to each department to develop and implement such a policy. Please refer to the following web site for additional information:

If you have additional questions regarding student employment programs, please contact:

UW-Eau Claire Financial Aid Office
115 Schofield Hall