print header


Grants are gift assistance and do not need to be repaid.  Grants are targeted to the highest need students and most grants are awarded to undergraduate students.  Types of grants include:


Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added. How much you are eligible for depends on the results of your financial aid application (FAFSA), your cost of attendance, whether you're a full-time or part-time student and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less.  The total number of years a student may receive a Pell Grant is the equivalent of six years.

Federal Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grant

SEOG is reserved for students with exceptional need, and is awarded in addition to the Pell Grant. Eligibility is based on availability of funds as well as need.

Blugold Commitment Grant

This grant is equal to the amount of the Blugold Commitment tuition differential and is awarded to undergraduate students who have an Estimated Family Contribution of $7,000 or less.  Priority is given to students who file a FAFSA by July 1 prior to the academic year.

Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant

Grants of up to $2000 are available for admitted students with financial need to help with the extra costs of study abroad.  To be considered for the grant, student must have financial need (typically, grant recipients have an Estimated Family Contribution equal to or less than $10,000) and be enrolled fulltime for the semester preceding the student's study abroad.  The grant is not offered for summer.

Blugold Study Abroad Grants

Terms similar to Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant except that full time enrollment in the preceding semester and Wisconsin residency is not required and the grant can be awarded for summer.

Wisconsin Grant 

(previously named WHEG, Wisconsin Higher Education Grant)
WG is a state-funded grant awarded to Wisconsin residents with high need. To receive WG you must enroll for at least 6 credits per semester; you may receive WG for a maximum of 10 semesters. The minimum award is $250 per year; the maximum award is determined by state allocation. Generally, WG is only available during the fall and/or spring semesters and is allocated on a first-filed first-received basis.

For students who are not Wisconsin residents, contact the agency in your home state regarding the availability of state grant monies for attendance at out-of-state schools.

Wisconsin Covenant Grant

Grants are awarded to students who are confirmed WI Covenant Scholars based on their Estimated Family contributions.  For more information about the WI Covenant Program and the grant amounts for which students are eligible, see:

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant

MRG is awarded to Wisconsin residents who are Black, Hispanic, Native American or Southeast Asian. To be eligible, you must have 24 earned credits and maintain at least a 2.00 Grade Point Average. The award is based on need. You may receive up to $2000 per year, for up to 4 years.

Talent Incentive Program Grant

TIP is awarded to Wisconsin residents with low income plus other criteria. You may be awarded up to $1500 per year for 4 years. To apply for the TIP grant, contact the UW-Eau Claire Financial Aid Office or your local Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Office (WEOP).

Wisconsin Indian Assistance

WIA is awarded to Wisconsin Native Americans with quarter blood ancestry or tribal affiliation. You may be awarded up to $1100 per year for 10 semesters. To apply, complete the Indian Scholarship Application (available from the Financial Aid Office or your Tribal Office) and return it to the Tribal Office.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Assistance

BIA is awarded to students with tribal membership or blood ancestry (percentage may vary). The award is approximately $1800 per year. To apply, complete the Indian Scholarship Application (available from your Tribal Office) and return it to the Tribal Office.

Tuition Assistance Grant

The Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) is a State grant for undergraduate, Wisconsin Residents, with family income of less than $60,000 and who did not receive the Wisconsin Higher education Grant (WHEG).  Students must also show unmet need to qualify.