Homecoming Week activities kick off Oct. 2
Homecoming Week, one of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire's largest annual events, will be held from Oct. 2-9.
Homecoming—highlighted by numerous activities for students and alumni, including a parade and football game—is expected to draw thousands of alumni back to Eau Claire to join students, faculty, staff and community members in celebration.
During the week, students will select Homecoming royalty and participate in various activities, including window painting, sand sculpture building and other competitions. Clues to the medallion hunt will appear on the Davies Center's television and the University Activities Commission website.
Other Homecoming events include:
- A UW-Eau Claire Alumni of Color reunion will begin at 1:55 p.m. Oct. 7 with a campus tour, followed by a 5 p.m. mix and mingle event at The Livery Restaurant & Saloon in downtown Eau Claire. Details and registration forms are available on the Alumni Association website.
- Alumni who graduated in 1961 or earlier can attend Golden Blugolds Weekend events Oct 7-8. A reception and dinner, hosted by Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich, will begin at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 7 in the Tamarack Room, Davies Center. Details and registration information are on the Alumni Association website. Golden Blugolds also will ride in the Oct. 8 Homecoming parade.
- The student talent show "Varsity Night Live!" will begin at 7 p.m. Oct. 7 in Zorn Arena. The show will feature the talents of UW-Eau Claire students. Comedian/magician Derek Hughes will emcee the event. The coronation of Homecoming royalty will immediately follow the show. Tickets, available at the Service Center and at the door, are $7 for the general public, $5 with a UW-Eau Claire student ID or $2.50 for those wearing a 2011 Homecoming button.
- Higherground will host dance parties beginning at 10 p.m. Oct. 7-8. Higherground, located in Crest Wellness Center on upper campus, is open to college/university ID holders and their guests. Admission is $1 or free for anyone wearing a 2011 Homecoming button.
- The Homecoming parade will begin at 10 a.m. Oct. 8 at Grand and First avenues. It will proceed south to Water Street, turn down Water Street and end at Second Avenue. The Blugold Marching Band, conducted by Dr. Randal Dickerson, will lead the parade, which will include floats and nonmusical marching units. High school bands also will perform. Dr. Alan Rieck, associate professor of music and recipient of the 2011 Excellence in Teaching award, will be the grand marshal.
- Shuttle buses will take football fans to Carson Park after the parade. Beginning at 11 a.m., shuttles will run from the corner of Second Avenue and Water Street, Fifth Avenue and Water Street, and Towers Hall. Shuttles will run continuously until 30 minutes after the football game. Parking will be allowed in Carson Park; vehicles must enter from Lake Street. No carry-ins or tailgating is permitted.
- The alumni pregame Homecoming festival, Blugold Fever Fest, will begin at 11 a.m. Oct. 8 with music, food and beverage tents at Carson Park. The Blugold Marching Band will perform. The Alumni Association will sponsor an alumni tent. Admission is free; proof of age is required to purchase beer.
- The Blugolds football team will play the UW-Oshkosh Titans at 2 p.m. Oct. 8 in Carson Park. Admission is free for UW-Eau Claire student ID card holders; for others, advance ticket purchase is recommended. Tickets can be purchased at the University Service Center or at the gate. Tickets are $8 for the general public; $6 for UW-Eau Claire faculty, staff and those ages 62 and older; and $4 for those age 17 and younger and UW-Oshkosh students (ID required).
- The second annual Kell Blugold Burger Fifth Quarter Tailgate Party will begin at 5 p.m. Oct. 8 in Carson Park. After the football game, the Blugold Marching Band will lead fans to the event, where food and beverages will be available. The free event is hosted by the Alumni Association. The Blugold Marching Band and the Student Big Band will provide music. A silent auction will benefit the football program. Items to be auctioned include Packers tickets and signed Packers items.
- Homecoming activities will end with the annual Adopt-a-Block neighborhood cleanup beginning at 1 p.m. Oct. 9. Student teams will walk through the Historic Randall Park neighborhood to pick up litter left from the weekend's festivities.
Homecoming buttons will be on sale for $1 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. weekdays through Oct. 7 in the east lobby of Davies Center and at Homecoming events. The buttons are required to participate in competitions and games, and are worth reduced admission to the "Varsity Night Live!" show, discounts on select University Bookstore items and free admission to events at Higherground.
Homecoming activities are sponsored by the University Activities Commission of the Student Senate and the Alumni Association. Numerous campus organizations sponsor and host individual events and reunions.
A schedule of reunions and alumni events is available on the Alumni Association website. For more information about alumni activities, contact the Alumni Association at 715-836-3266.
A schedule of student events is available on the University Activities Commission website. For more information about student events, call the Activities, Involvement and Leadership office at 715-836-4833.
For ticket information, call the University Service Center at 715-836-3727 or 800-949-8932. Telephone orders require payment by MasterCard or Visa; a $3 handling charge will be added to all telephone orders.
Source: UW-Eau Claire News Bureau