UW-Eau Claire Accounting Students Provide Free Tax Return Assistance
UW-Eau Claire accounting students will provide free 2010 income tax assistance to taxpayers who cannot afford to pay for professional help through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA, a special program of the Internal Revenue Service and Wisconsin Department of Revenue, provides free tax return assistance to taxpayers with adjusted gross annual incomes under $49,000. UW-Eau Claire students will be available to meet with individuals on a first-come, first-served basis Monday-Wednesday, February 7 through April 13, 2011.
VITA provides free tax assistance for low-to moderate-income individuals with an adjusted gross annual income under $49,000. Volunteers are University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire accounting students certified by the IRS.
VITA volunteers will help individuals fill out basic income tax forms (1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040). Taxpayers with complicated returns or questions will be referred to the IRS or advised to seek private professional assistance. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by the VITA volunteer.
Taxpayers seeking tax preparation assistance must bring the following information:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse, and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on your tax return
- Current year's tax packet if you received one
- Wage and earning statements from W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R from all your employers
- Interest and dividend statements from financial institutions (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's Federal and State returns if available
- Financial institution's routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for day-care and day-care provider's tax identification number.
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information, please contact the VITA volunteer hotline at 715-833-7257.
2011 VITA Schedule, February 7–April 13
(Closed March 17-23)
All locations are in Eau Claire, WI
Mondays from 2–6 PM
418 Wisconsin Street
Tuesdays & Wednesdays
from 1–4:30 PM
RCU Shopko South Office
1049 W. Clairemont Ave