Free online tax filing service for UW-Eau Claire students, faculty and staff
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire students, faculty and staff can file their own 2011 federal and state taxes on-campus this year thanks to a new online service offered by the UW-Eau Claire Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). The UW-Eau Claire VITA is a program of the UW-Eau Claire Department of Accounting and Finance.
To qualify for the new online filing service, taxpayers must have earned less than $57,000 in 2011 and have a valid uwec email address.
UW-Eau Claire students, faculty and staff interested in using this service may complete and file their returns in the UW-Eau Claire Center for Sales and Sales Management, Schneider Hall, Room 322. UW-Eau Claire users are required to show their UW-Eau Claire ID. Taxpayers will work in one of four private rooms equipped with a computer kiosk. Trained UW-Eau Claire student VITA volunteers will be on hand to provide technical support and answer basic tax questions.
The Center will be open Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00-5:00 starting January 30, 2012. During Spring Break the Center will be open on Wednesday only. The last day for service will be Monday, April 16. Tax payers can make online reservations here for a 30-minute block of time.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
- Blugold ID
- Social Security Numbers for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Copy of last year's federal and state returns
- Bank account routing number and account number
- Daycare provider and daycare provider tax identifying number
- Rent certificate or 2011 property tax bill, if eligible for Homestead Credit.
The new UW-Eau Claire VITA online service is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service. Additional funding was provided by UW-Eau Claire Academic Affairs/Office of the Provost.