Front row, l to r: Connor Meloy, Alex Roland, Cameron Walther, Lauren Gault, Sam Mimier, Katrina Smith, Melissa Erickson, Nick Adams
Back row, l to r: Jerry Kollross, Charlie Truttman, Aaron Severson, Emma Carlson, Billy Goh, Nicole Foyt, Mitch Lang, Bob Erffmeyer
Not pictured: Tim Bortner, Kellen Busey, Drew Christensen, Patrick J. Connelly, Cory Conway, Mike Lesinski, Keenan Meitner
Hard work pays off for the 2012-13 UW-Eau Claire sales team
The 2012-13 University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Sales team has had a busy and productive semester, according to Jerry Kollross, coach of the team and assistant director for the UW-Eau Claire Center for Sales and Sales Management.
"Our team has worked very hard and had a great showing," said Kollross. "They have tested their selling, communication and analytical skills against students in some of the best sales programs in the country and they have done very well."
Team members represented UW-Eau Claire at seven events in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Because each competition had a slightly different format, most students spent 20-40 hours preparing for their event. That preparation paid off. The UW-Eau Claire team scored a first (individual) at the Ball State Regional, first (individual) and second place (individual) at the UW-Eau Claire Great Northwoods Sales Warm-Up and a fourth (team) and a sixth (individual) at the William Paterson University Russ Berrie National Sales Challenge in New Jersey. See results below.
In addition to doing well during the competitions, members of the UW-Eau Claire team also "scored" in the job market. When UW-Eau Claire students weren’t competing they attended a career fair held in conjunction with each event.
"Three of our December graduates received multiple job offers and many of our May graduates already have job offers, too," said Kollross. "One of our sophomores has an internship offer."
During the spring semester the team members will compete at the Northern Illinois World Collegiate Sales Open in February, the National Collegiate Sales Competition at Kennesaw State University in Georgia in March and the Western States Collegiate Sales Competition at California State University, Chico in April.
The UW-Eau Claire Sales team is sponsored by the UW-Eau Claire Department of Management and Marketing. Funds to support team come from many different sources including the UW-Eau Claire Blugold Initiative, UW-Eau Claire Department of Management and Marketing, and corporate sponsors.
For more information, contact Dr. Bob Erffmeyer, director of the Center for Sales & Sales Management or Jerry Kollross, assistant director and coach of the UW-Eau Claire sales team.
UW-Eau Claire Students attending 2012-2013 Sales Competitions
Fall 2012 Results
11th Annual Blugold Sales Challenge
September 21-22, 2012
- Format: One, 20-minute sales role play for NetSuite CRM software judged by sales professionals from NML-The Bohannon Group. Rank determined which students would compete in the UW-Eau Claire Great Northwoods Sales Warm-Up, National Collegiate Sales Competition (NCSC) and other sales competitions held during the academic year.
- Competitors: For UW-Eau Claire students only.
- Competition results: Top Three: Nick Adams, Melissa Erickson and Cameron Walther. Samuel Mimier will participate in The Warm-Up and the NCSC as Adams graduates in December.
Ball State University Regional Sales Competition October 12, 2012
- Format: Round 1: 20-minute sales role play. Round 2: Second sales role play. Students are split into two divisions by school location.
- UW-Eau Claire team: Cory Conway, Patrick J. Connelly, Keenan Meitner, Aaron Severson
- Team results: Aaron Severson won first place in his division and a check for $500
- Competition results: 1st in division: UW-Eau Claire, 2nd – Purdue. In the other division, 1st – Central Michigan, 2nd – University of Toledo
Florida State University International Collegiate Sales Competition Oct. 19-21, 2012
- Format: Round 1: 20-minute sales role play. Round 2: “Needs Identification” sales call with a desired outcome of the buyer accepting a second appointment. Round 3: “Solution Presentation” sales call via Skype video to the foreign decision maker. Round 4: Direct selling situation.
- UW-Eau Claire team: Emma Carlson, Mitchell Lang
- Team results: Emma Carlson and Mitch Lang both made it into Round 2. UW-Eau Claire finished 18th.
- Competition results: 1st -University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 2nd-Texas State University, 3rd -Elon University, 4th -Florida State University, 5th-University of Toledo
Indiana University at Bloomington National Team Selling Competition October 25-26, 2012
- Format: Case analysis
- UW-Eau Claire team: Drew Christensen, Lauren Gault, Michael Lesinski, Alexandra Roland
- Team results: Lauren Gault was one of five students individually recognized for her skills during the event. Gault and five other students received MVP awards.
- Competition results: 1st University of Washington
UW-Eau Claire Great Northwoods Sales Warm Up November 8-10, 2012
- Format: One, 20-minute sales role plays for a Hormel and a SuperValu product/service
- UW-Eau Claire competitors: Melissa Erickson, Lauren Gault, Samuel Mimier, Cameron Walther
- Team results: 2012 Overall Champion: Cameron Walther. First Runner-Up: Melissa Erickson
- Competition results: 1st UW-Eau Claire, 2nd UW-Eau Claire, 3rd Bowling Green
William Paterson University Russ Berrie National Sales Challenge November 14-16, 2012
- Format: Two competitive events: one 15-minute sales call role play and a 2-minute sales pitch about themselves
- UW-Eau Claire competitors: Nick Adams, Connor Meloy
- Team results: 4th overall in the team competition. Connor Meloy took 6th place overall in the speed selling competition.
- Competition results: 1st: Elon, 2nd Western Michigan, 3rd Louisiana Lafyette, 4th UW-Eau Claire
Spring 2013 Events
Northern Illinois World Collegiate Sales Open Finals: February 21-23, 2013
- Format: Competitors participate in three elimination rounds (voice mail call, appointment call, inside sales call) that test skills prior to the championship round in February. The top 20 competitors become finalists for the championship round.
- UW-Eau Claire competitors: Timothy Bortner, Nicole Foyt, King Sheng “Billy” Goh, Katrina Smith
- Team results: All team members successfully completed the first two phone calls and advanced to the third sales calls.
Kennesaw State University National Collegiate Sales Competition
March 1-4, 2013
UW-Eau Claire competitors: Melissa Erickson, Samuel Mimier, Cameron Walther
Western States Collegiate Sales Competition at California State University Chico,
April 13, 2013
UW-Eau Claire competitors: Kellen Busey, Charles Truttman
News around Schneider
2012-2013 UW-Eau Claire Sales Team
- Nicholas J. Adams, senior professional sales marketing major from Shakopee, MN
- Timothy Bortner, sophomore professional sales marketing major from Corcoran, MN
- Kellen Busey, senior professional sales marketing major from Rochester, MN
- Emma Carlson, senior professional sales marketing major from Rosemount, MN
- Drew Christensen, senior business economics major from Wausau, WI
- Patrick J. Connelly, senior professional sales marketing major from Edina, MN
- Cory Conway, junior, marketing major from Mendota Heights, MN
- Melissa Erickson, senior professional sales marketing major from Schofield, WI
- Nicole Foyt, junior professional sales marketing major from Eden Prairie, MN
- Lauren Gault, senior professional sales marketing major from Milwaukee, Wi
- King Sheng “Billy” Goh, senior chemistry-business major from Malaysia
- Mitchell Lang, senior management major from Le Center, MN
- Michael Lesinski, senior professional sales marketing major from Neenah, WI
- Keenan Meitner, junior professional sales marketing major from Hortonville, WI
- Connor Meloy, senior professional sales marketing major from Madison, WI
- Samuel Mimier, senior professional sales marketing major from Mukwonago, WI
- Alexandra Roland, senior marketing major from Wausau, WI
- Aaron Severson, senior professional sales marketing major from Green Bay, WI
- Katrina Smith, senior professional sales marketing major from Eau Claire, WI
- Charles Truttman, senior professional sales marketing major from Suring, WI
- Cameron Walther, senior professional sales marketing major from Whitefish Bay, WI.