Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content
News & Events - Archived News
January 30, 2009

Accounting Students Provide Free Tax Return Assistance for 2008 Tax Year

UW-Eau Claire accounting students will provide free income tax assistance to taxpayers who cannot afford to pay for professional help through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA, a special program of the Internal Revenue Service and Wisconsin Department of Revenue, provides free tax return assistance to taxpayers with adjusted gross annual incomes under $42,000. UW-Eau Claire students will meet with individuals from February 9-April 15. (Note: No service will be available during the universityís spring break, March 16-20).

UW-Eau Claire VITA volunteers will meet with taxpayers on a first-come, first-serve basis. See VITA schedule below. Students will help individuals fill out basic income tax forms (1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040). They cannot prepare Married Filling Separately tax returns. Taxpayers with complicated returns or questions will be referred to the IRS or advised to seek private professional assistance. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by the VITA volunteer. Taxpayers seeking tax preparation assistance must bring the information listed below.

For more information about the VITA program, contact the UW-Eau Claire Accounting and Finance Department at 715.836.2184.

2009 VITA Schedule, February 9–April 15
(No service March 16–20)

Mondays, 3:00–7:00 pm
Western Dairyland Community Action Agency
418 Wisconsin Street
Eau Claire, WI

Tuesdays, 1:30–5:00 pm
RCU Bellinger Street Office
1512 Bellinger Street
Eau Claire, WI

Wednesdays, 1:30–5:00 pm
RCU Bellinger Street Office
1512 Bellinger Street
Eau Claire, WI

Fridays, 1:00–5:00 pm
UW-Eau Claire
Schneider Hall, Room 314

Information to Bring

The VITA volunteer cannot prepare your return if you donít bring ALL of the following information to your meeting:

  • Proof of identity
  • Copies of all W-2ís, 1098, 1099 forms
  • Social Security Cards or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) letter for all individuals to be listed on the return
  • Amounts of any other income
  • Child care providerís identification number, amounts of child care paid, and address of facility or childcare provider
  • Amounts/dates of estimated or other tax payments made
  • Bank documents showing routing number and account numbers if requesting direct deposit/debit
  • For homestead credit for renters: Rent Certificates from all landlords or proof of rent paid if landlord refuses to give you a Rent Certificate (including copies of canceled checks showing rent paid)
  • For homestead credit for homeowners: Statement from county of property taxes