To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good standing (academic, financial and conduct) and have a cumulative GPA of 2.5. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a freshman but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins.
UW-Eau Claire students may take classes in Arts/Humanities, Business, Computing, Education, Health Services, Criminal Justice, or Resource Science and Management. Many study abroad students take the Outdoor Education class, which includes intensive field experiences (Outdoor Education comes back to UWEC as Geography Upper Division Elective (GE III; Liberal Education K2) and is now a physical activity credit). Please note that due to the different calendar system that Australia uses, the sequencing of courses may not align with UWEC.
Southern Cross class (unit is what they are called in Australia) schedules for (2016) are available online: http://search.scu.edu.au/units/ (These units are not guaranteed to be offered in 2017, the 2017 unit options will become available in September 2016.)
- Select "Undergraduate," under the "Unit Level" tab
- Select "Session 2," under the "Session" tab, to view units offered during our fall semester.
- Select "Session 1," under the "Session" tab, to view units offered during our spring semester.
- Select "Lismore" under the "Location" tab (*note that you cannot take any courses that are "external" (online))
- You may choose to take three or four classes at Southern Cross; the cost of three classes (12 US credits) is included in the program. If you take four courses you will pay the additional fees to Southern Cross.
- Remember that these are current classes, and there is no guarantee that the same classes will be offered the semester you plan to study abroad.
UW-EAU CLAIRE EQUIVALENCIES FOR SOUTHERN CROSS COURSES
Many courses you can take at SCU have already been evaluated for UW-Eau Claire credit. To find courses that have been evaluated for SCU, you will go to the Transfer Wizard site here: https://my.uwec.edu/psp/PUBLIC/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/EAU_SS_CUSTOM.EAU_TRNCRDWZ.GBL
- Choose Australia, then type “Southern Cross University”, then click “Search”;
- Click on the Southern Cross University link that appears.
- Click "Search" again. All SCU courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear, in alphabetical order by the SCU “School Subject”.
- If the SCU course does not appear on the list, it has not yet been evaluated for UWEC credit.
Please keep in mind that this is a historical record of past course equivalencies. There is no guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future, or that they will be offered during the term in which you are abroad.
GENERAL EDUCATION/LIBERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
For students in catalog years through 2015-2016, this program fulfills the Foreign Culture requirement upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at email@example.com after completion of the program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A. or B.M degree in the College of Arts & Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirement. See the university catalog for details.)
For students in catalog years 2016 and later, this program can fulfill an integrated learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
You may study at Southern Cross University for either semester or the full Australian academic year. The first semester (our Spring) starts in late February and ends in June. The second semester (our Fall) begins in mid June and ends in mid October. (Note that the early dates for second semester may create difficulty for students using financial aid, since aid cannot be released until the first day of the UW-Eau Claire fall semester.) Exact dates will be available the semester prior to departure.