Skip to Content

Major Advising Page - Physics

Study abroad and...
• Learn how other parts of the world discuss and research important physics and astronomy topics such as energy, materials science and space exploration.
• Take elective courses and have access to specialized research equipment at international institutions.
• Understand global issues in energy (conservation, conversion, and distribution/transmission).
• Learn about the application of materials science (nanotechnology, superconductivity, and nondestructive testing) around the globe.
• Build your resume by demonstrating your flexibility, independence and willingness to take on new challenges.
• Meet people from other cultures who share your interest in science.

Plan Ahead...
As a physics student, you can study abroad during almost any semester in your college career with careful planning. And with opportunities for multiple elective credits in the major, you can study abroad and make progress towards your degree. Discuss study abroad options with your physics adviser.

The best time to start planning for study abroad is your freshman year.  Ideally, physics majors should take Physics 231 and 232 as well as the math co-requisite courses (Math 114 and 215) prior to going abroad.

The majority of UW-Eau Claire students study abroad as sophomores.  Since physics majors should finish the four introductory physics/math courses before going abroad, spring semester is most likely your earliest option.  You can then fulfill both general education requirements and fulfill physics major requirements and/or electives.

Nearly as many students study abroad as juniors. Now you may be more focused on upper-division program courses and electives. Consult with your adviser to understand when you must take required courses.

You can still study abroad during your senior year. However, you must be on-campus during fall semester as Physics 485 - Senior Seminar, a required course for graduation, is only offered in the fall. You should consult with your adviser to understand how studying abroad your senior year may affect your graduation. Some required or interesting elective courses and their prerequisites might only be available at UW-Eau Claire in alternating semesters or years.

Fulfill Graduation Requirements
General Education: General education credits can be fulfilled on almost all study abroad programs.

Major requirements: Physics courses are offered at the universities listed below.  With advance planning, you will be able to earn credits for your physics major.

Minor requirements: Depending on your minor, you may also be able to take courses to fulfill those requirements abroad.

Foreign Language/Foreign Culture: If you are completing a Bachelor of Science in Physics, you can complete your foreign language/foreign culture requirement by studying abroad for one semester.

Programs for Physics Students
The department chair of Physics has evaluated courses for these programs:

As the Physics department and the CIE work together, specific programs recommended may change, check back for the latest information. 

updated 6/25/13 - links

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.