Study abroad and...
• Gain an appreciation for biological diversity.
• Take courses and have access to research equipment not available at UW-Eau Claire.
• Understand global environmental issues.
• Gain an appreciation of evolutionary processes and for the history of science.
• Learn about the application of biological knowledge around the globe.
• Observe new species and ecosystems.
• Build your resume by demonstrating your flexibility, independence and willingness to take on new challenges.
As a biology student, you can study abroad during almost any semester in your college career with advanced planning. And with opportunities for multiple elective credits in the major, you can study abroad and make progress towards your degree. Discuss study abroad options with your biology adviser.
The best time to start planning for study abroad is your freshman year. Biology majors should take three courses (BIOL 221, 222 and 223) prior to going abroad.
The majority of UW-Eau Claire students study abroad as sophomores. Since biology majors need to have finished the 3 biology core courses before going abroad, spring semester is most likely your earliest option. You can then fulfill both general education requirements and fulfill biology major requirements or electives.
Nearly as many students study abroad as juniors. Now you may be more focused on upper-division program courses and electives. Consult with your adviser to understand when you must take required courses.
You can still study abroad during your senior year. However, you must consult with your adviser to understand how it may affect your graduation. Some required courses and the prerequisites might only be available at UW-Eau Claire in alternating semesters.
Fulfill Graduation Requirements
General Education: General education credits can be fulfilled on almost all study abroad programs.
Major requirements: Biology courses are offered at the universities listed below. With advance planning, you will be able to earn credits for your biology major.
Minor requirements: Depending on your minor, you may also be able to take courses to fulfill those requirements abroad.
Programs for Biology Students
The department chair of Biology has evaluated courses for these programs: